Dr. Siow Kim Shyong
Research Fellow / Senior Lecturer
Associate Fellow, Centre for Collaborative Innovation
Kim S Siow is a Research Fellow at the Institute of Microengineering and Nanoelectronics (IMEN), Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia. Before joining IMEN, he has worked as a materials engineer at Infineon Technologies, ON Semiconductor and the National University of Singapore. His research is multi-displinary in the area of surface modification using plasma technologies for biomaterials, sensors and microfluidic application and joining technologies using sintered silver for power electronics applications. He also reviews journal papers regularly for more than 20 international journals from Elsevier, Wiley, Springer, Taylor-Francis and IEEE Transactions. Besides academic qualifications, he is also a certified Project Management Professional PMP® since 2009 and MATRiZ (Theory of Inventive Problem Solving) Practitioner Level 3 since 2018.
His most recent book is here: Die Attach Materials for High Temperature Applications in Microelectronics Packaging (Springer-Nature), 2018 .
more about Dr. Kim S Siow at Researchgate : https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kim_Siow
- PhD in Engineering (Minerals and Materials) from University of South Australia, 2007
- Master of Laws in Intellectual Properties from University of Turin-WIPO, 2018
- Masters of Applied Science (Materials Engineering) from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2000.
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Materials Engineering) with Honours from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 1997.
1. Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (UK), CEng MIMMM
2. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineer (USA), Senior Member; Executive Committee membere incl. IEEE EPS Malaysia Cahor person 2014-2015).
3. Institute of Materials Malaysia, Member
1. Electronic materials for interconnect such as lead free solders, sinter silver etc.
2. Thermal management materials for microelectronic packaging
3. Plasma treatment and plasma polymerization
SELECTED JOURNAL PUBLICATION
- Siow KS, Chua ST, Thermal Ageing Studies of Sintered Micron-Silver (Ag) Joint as a Lead-Free Bonding, Metals and Materials International, 2020, DOI:10.1007/s12540-019-00394-0
- Nur A.K., Lee KH, Siow KS, Mokhtar M, Psychological and sociological perspectives for good governance of sustainable nanotechnology development in Malaysia, 2019, J Nanoparticles Research, 21, 164, DOI:10.1007/s11051-019-4583-5
- Siow KS, Chua ST, Thermal Cycling of Sintered Silver (Ag) Joint as Die-Attach Material, JOM, 2019, DOI: 10.1007/s11837-019-03461-4
- Meyghani B., Awang M., Bokam P., Plank B., Heinzl C., Siow KS, Finite Element Modeling of Nano Porous Sintered Silver Material Using Computed Tomography Images, Material Science and Engineering Technology,“Materialwissenschaft und Werkstofftechnik”, 2019, 50, 533-538.DOI: 10.1002/mawe.201800231
- Meyghani B,Awang M, Emamian S, Plank B, Christoph H, Siow KS, Stress Analysis of Nano porous Material using Computed Tomography Images, Material Science and Engineering Technology ”Materialwissenschaft und Werkstofftechnik”, 2019, 50, 234-239. DOI:10.1002/mawe.201800206
- Siow KS, Chua ST, B., Zuruzi AS, Influence of Sintering Environment on Silver Sintered on Copper Substrate, Journal of Materials Science: Electronic Materials, 2019, 30 (6), 6212-6223. DOI: 10.1007/s10854-019-00924-x
- Siow KS, Britcher L, Kumar S, Griesser, HJQCM-D and XPS Study of Protein Adsorption on Plasma Polymers with Sulfonate and Phosphonate Surface Group, Colloids and Interface B, 2019, 173 (1), 447-453 DOI: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.10.015
- Izzuddin MAS, Buyong MR, Siow KS, BY Majlis,Dielectrophoresis Velocities Response on Tapered Electrode Profile: Simulation and Experimental, Microelectronics International, 2018, DOI: 10.1108/MI-06-2018-0037
- Siow KS, Britcher L, Kumar S, Griesser HJ, XPS Study of Sulfur and Phosphorus Compounds with Different Oxidation States,Sains Malaysiana, 2018,47(8), 1911–1920 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17576/jsm-2018-4708-33
- Siow KS, Low Pressure Plasma Modifications for the Generation of Hydrophobic Coatings for Biomaterials Applications, Plasma Process. Polym. 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/ppap.201800059
- Y Xie, Y Wang, Y Mei, H Xie, K Zhang, S Feng, Siow KS, X Li, GQ Lu, Rapid sintering of nano-Ag paste at low current to bond large area (> 100 mm2) power chips for electronics packaging, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 255, 644-649, 2018 DOI:10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2018.01.017
- MA Zulkefli , MA Mohamed, Siow KS, K. Jothiramalingam, M. Manoharan and H. Mizuta, “Stress Analysis of Perforated Graphene Nano-Electro-Mechanical (NEM) Contact Switches by 3D Finite Element Simulation”, Microsystem Technologies, (2017), available online.
- D Wang, Y Mei, Siow KS, X Li, GQ Lu, Roles of palladium particles in enhancing the electrochemical migration resistance of sintered nano-silver paste as a bonding material, Materials Letters, 206, pg1-4, (2017),
- Chen TF, Siow KS, Ng PY, Burhanuddin YM, “Enhancing the Biocompatibility of the Polyurethane Methacrylate and Off-Stoichiometry Thiol-Ene Polymers by Argon and Nitrogen Plasma Treatment”, Materials Science Engineering C 79, 613-621 . DOI: 10.1016/j.msec.2017.05.091
- M.F.M.R. Wee, M. Addouche, KS. Siow, A. R.M Zain, A. Elayouch, F. Chollet, A. Khelif, Guiding and confinement of interface acoustic waves in solid-fluid pillar-based phononic crystals, AIP Advances, DOI: 10.1063/1.4968609
- K.S. Siow, L. Britcher, S. Kumar, H.J. Griesser, 2016, “Plasma Polymers Containing Sulfur and their Co-Polymers with 1,7 Octadiene: Chemical and Structural Analysis “, Plasma Process. Polym. 2017, 14(3), e1600044, DOI: 10.1002/ppap.201600044
- Chan YW, Siow KS, Ng PY, U Gires, Burhanuddin YM, “Plasma Polymerized Carvone as An Antibacterial and Biocompatible Coating”, Materials Science Engineering C (Elsevier), 2016, C68, (2016), 861-871. DOI: 10.1016/j.msec.2016.07.040
- Chen TF, Siow KS, Ng PY, Nai MH, Lim CT, Burhanuddin YM, Ageing Properties of Polyurethane Methacrylate and Off-Stoichiometry Thiol-Ene Polymers after Nitrogen and Argon Plasma Treatment, Journal of Applied Polymer Science (Wiley), Nov 2016, 133, 42, 44107, DOI: 10.1002/APP.44107.
- Chua ST, Kim S Siow, Microstructural studies and bonding strength of pressureless sintered nano-silver joints on silver, direct bond copper (DBC) and copper substrates aged at 300 °C, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2016, 687, 486-498. DOI: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2016.06.132
- Kim S Siow and Y. T. Lin, “Identifying the Development State of Sintered Silver (Ag) as Bonding Material in Microelectronic Packaging via A Patent Landscape Study”, Journal of Electronic Packaging, 2016, 138, 020804-1 to 020804-13. DOI: 10.1115/1.4033069
- Kim S. Siow, S. Kumar, HJ. Griesser, Low-Pressure Plasma Methods for Generating Non-Reactive Hydrophilic and Hydrogel-Like Bio-Interface Coatings – A Review, Plasma Processes and Polymers, 2015, 12 (1), 8-24
- Kim S. Siow, Are Sintered Silver Joints Ready for Use as Interconnect? Material in Microelectronic Packaging? Journal of Electronic Materials, 2014, 43 (4), 947-961.
- Kim S. Siow, L. Britcher, S. Kumar, HJ. Griesser, Deposition and XPS and FTIR Analysis of Plasma Polymer Coatings Containing Phosphorus, Plasma Processes and Polymers, 2014, 11, 133-141.
- Kim S. Siow, Mechanical properties of nano-silver joints as die attach materials Journal of Alloys Compound., 2012, 514, 6-19.
- KS Siow, L Britcher, S Kumar, HJ Griesser, Sulfonated surfaces by sulfur dioxide plasma surface treatment of plasma polymer films, Plasma Polymers and Processes, 2009, 6, 583-592.
- KS Siow, L Britcher, S Kumar, HJ Griesser, Plasma-produced sulfated surfaces for biomaterials applications, Tissue Engineering, 2007, 13(4), 890. special issue for 2nd International Congress on Regenerative Biology and Bio-Nano-Interface, Stuttgart, Germany, 9-11th October, 2006.
- KS Siow, L Britcher, S Kumar, HJ Griesser, Plasma methods for the generation of chemically reactive surfaces for biomolecule immobilization – A Review, Plasma Polymers and Processes, 2006, 3, 392-418.
- K Mohan, KS Siow, R Jayakanthan, AO Andrew Tay, A study on microstructural and mechanical properties of nanocrystalline nickel, International Journal of Nanoscience, 2005, 4 (4), 615-622.
- KS Siow and M Manoharan, Mixed Mode fracture toughness of lead tin and tin silver solder joints with nickel plated substrate, Materials Science and Engineering A, 2005, 404, 244-250.
- KS Siow, AO Andrew Tay, and P Oruganti, Mechanical properties of nanocrystalline copper and nickel, Materials Science and Technology, March 2004, 20,285-294
- KS Siow, TY Song and JH Qiu, Pitting corrosion of duplex stainless steels, Anti Corrosion Methods and Materials, 2001, 48 no. 1, 31-36.