MEMS is a system that integrates mechanical, sensor, actuator and electronic elements on one chip through microfabrication and nanotechnology. The field of MEMS encompasses devices created with micromachining technologies originally developed to produce integrated circuits, as well as non-silicon based devices created by the same micromachining or other techniques. They can be classified as sensors, actuators and passive structures.
Sensors and actuators are transducers that convert one physical quantity to another, such as electromagnetic, mechanical, chemical, biological, optical or thermal phenomena. MEMS sensors commonly measure pressure, force, linear acceleration, rate of angular motion, torque, and flow. The sensing or actuation conversion con use a variety of methods. MEMS actuators provide the ability to manipulate physical parameters at the microscale, and can employ eletrostatic, thermal, magnetic, piezoelectric, piezores istive, and shape memory transformation methods. Passive MEMS structures such as micronozzles are used in atomizers, medical inhalers, fluid spray systems, fuel injection, and ink jet printers.
MEMS group at IMEN develops miniature sensor and actuator systems using microfabrication. IMEN also conducts research in MEMS wafer level packaging, RF MEMS, BioMEMS and biometrics extraction. Research in these areas is motivated by the potential to produce high performance, low-cost, miniature sensors and actuators for automotive, telecommunications and biomedical applications. The output of this project will be commercialized products, knowledge for academia and skilled labors in this area.
Prof. Dato` Dr. Burhanuddin Yeop Majlis, (MEMS/ NEMS technology, Microelectronics and microfabrication, MEMS microstructure and sensing devices, RF MEMS and BIOMEMS, Lab-on Chip and MBE technology)
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Dee Chang Fu, (Nanowires, CNT and GaAs technology)
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Azrul Azlan Hamzah, (MEMS/NEMS Microfabrication and packagi
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Jumril Yunas, (MEMS/NEMS devices and technology, Micro-sensors and actuators, Lab-on Chip, RF (radio frequency) devices
- Dr. Abdul Rahman Mohmad, (III-V Compound Semiconductor)
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Mohd Ambri Mohamed, (Carbon electronics, III-V Semiconductors, MBE technology, Spintronics)
- Dr. Rhonira Latif, (MEMS, Micro-sensors, RF devices and biomimicking devices)
- Dr. Muhamad Ramdzan Buyong, (MEMS and NEMS, MIcrofabrication technology)
- Dr. Mohd. Farhanulhakim Mohd. Razip Wee, (Semiconductor technology, Micro and nanoelectronics materials)
- RF MEMS and RFIC
- MEMS Loudspeakers and microphones
- MEMS Microinductors and transformers
- MEMS Microgenerators
- MEMS Sensor and actuators
- MEMS Microfluidics
- MEMS Micropumps, Microvalves and Microneedles
- Biocell Filters, separators and detectors
- Nano Lab-on-Chip
- Nanotube and Nanowires
- Graphene based NEMS devices