Climate Change Institute (IPI) was established on consolidation and mergers under the thrust of climate science involving 4 (four) the following entities:
- Climate Change Institute (IPI)
- Space Science Center (SPACE)
- Earth Observation Center (EOC)
- Centre for Tropical Climate Change Systems (IKLIM)
Consolidation of this field gives the following benefits:
- Facilitate UKM to highlight climate science, climate change and science related.
- Making science more holistic, cross-border science and condensed.
- To facilitate the solution of current issues that require a combination of knowledge in various fields.
- Increase the prospect on getting research funds from various quarters or organization.
- Facilitate UKM to help countries and strengthen Malaysia’s position in the international arena, especially the role of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)
YBhg. Prof. Dato ‘ Dr. Sharifah Mastura Syed Abdullah has appointed as IPI Director starting December 2, 2013 until July 2018. IPI is now led by YBhg. Prof. Dr. Mohd. Nizam Mohd Said starting August 2018.