Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Library (UKM) was established simultaneously with the establishment of Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia on 1970, at Lembah Pantai, Kuala Lumpur. It comprises the main library and its four branches. The main library, named as Tun Seri Lanang Library is situated at the main campus grounds at Bangi, while the four branches libraries are namely, the Malay World & Civilization Library (Bangi), Law Library (Bangi), Dr. Abdul Latiff Medical Library (Kuala Lumpur) and the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Center Library (Cheras).
Tun Seri Lanang Library has a floor area of 220,000 sq. feet, the Malay World & Civilization Library, 10,000 sq. feet, Law Library, 24,600 sq. feet, Dr. Abdul Latiff Medical Library, 40,000 sq. feet and the HUKM Library having 20,000 sq. feet. As of 31 December 2010, the total collection at UKM Library stands at 1,468,519 copies which comprises of books, bound journals and media items. Of these, 732,675are books and bound journals housed at Tun Seri Lanang Library, 53,455 at Malay World & Civilization Library, 83,217 at the Law Library, 131,307 at Dr. Abdul Latiff Medical Library and 70,388 housed at Medical Centre Library. The overall media collection is 408,416 copies.
Beginning 1991, UKM Library started using its Integrated Library Systems via DOBIS / LIBIS. To accommodate the rather rapid expansion of its databases, the Library migrated later in mid-1999 to the Integrated Library Systems VIRTUA. As of January 2003, UKM Digital Collection begins its era of indexing and creation of full text database using the Content Manager software.
Who Is Tun Sri Lanang?
Tun Seri Lanang is known as “pengarang besar Johor”. He is known by his writes “Sejarah Melayu” or “Sulalatus Salatin” (1612) . He was born in the year of 1565 atBukit Seluyut, Kota Tinggi, Johor. His real name is Tun Muhammad. His father is Orang Kaya Paduka Raja Ahmad and his mother Tun Gengang.
Source : Warisan Persuratan Johor YWJ (1997)
World-Class University Library
UKM Library is committed to be an advanced university library that connects the information network with clients for fulfilling the requirements of learning, teaching and research.
- To develop, document and maintain the information sources for the requirements of university’s learning, teaching and research in variuos forms.
- To provide and manage the quality information services and library facilities.
- To create the quality infrastructure and physical environment and the latest information and communication technology.
- To be effective repository institution for the university’s publication and its citizens.
- To provide and manage the quality and latest information sources in various fields of a teaching.
- To provide the variety of latest information technology facilities that suit with the clients’s requirement.
- To prioritize the client by providing the efficient, accurate and friendly services.
- To assist the client in detecting, accessing and acquiring the relevant information.
- To provide the efficient and comfortable counter service to the client.