Department of Food Sciences

Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)


Research areas

Research conducted at the Department of Food Sciences focuses on the following two areas:

  1. Food Science
  2. Nutrition


Entry requirements

  1. Master Degree from University or any higher learning institution recognised by the UKM Senate; or other equivalent qualification.
  2. Bachelor Degree in Science with distinction (First Class) from UKM or any institution of higher learning subject to Faculty’s resolution and approval by the Senate; or
  3. Fulfil other requirements prescribed by the programme (where applicable); and
  4. Fulfil requirements of the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA);
  5. International student shall obtain minimum results of TOEFL (550) / IELTS (5.5) / MUET (band 3). (An international student who comes from a country where English is the official language, or who has obtained academic qualifications from any institution of higher learning that uses English as the medium of instruction may be exempted from the requirement for TOEFL / IELTS / MUET)

An international student who obtained academic qualifications but do not fulfils English language proficiency requirements shall attend the Intensive English Programme for one year (maximum period). Candidates who did not meet the minimum requirements as specified by the programme will be given  “Fail and Dismiss” status.


Program Structure

Each student of this program is required to register and pass the STPD6014 Research Methodology course as well as thesis registration for every semester until graduation. Students must schedule a meeting with the Supervisor or the Supervisory Committee for not less than 40 hours of meetings per semester for full-time students and 20 hours of meetings per semester for part-time students. The research output is written as a thesis.

Students must meet the graduation requirements set by the faculty.

Students must publish at least two (2) papers in the Web of Science (WOS) indexed journal in the field of Doctor of Philosophy research with the Supervisor or the Supervisory Committee