Assoc. Prof. Dr. Jumril Yunas, SMIEEE, MACS
Research Fellow / Senior Lecturer
Phone. +603 89118541
Email : email@example.com
Google Scholar Profile
Jumril Yunas is Assoc. Professor at the IMEN-UKM, Institute of Microengneering and Nanoelectronics, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia. He graduated in electrical engineering at the University of Technology RWTH Aachen, Germany and obtained his Ph.D. degree at the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia. He was Research Fellow at Indonesian Institute of Sciences, Indonesia and visiting scientist at the Chiba University, Japan. His work is focused in the area of MEMS device and technology for sensors and actuators, energy and biomedical applications.
- 2008 Ph.D in MEMS and Nanoelectronics from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
Major : Development of MEMS technology for RF devices
- 1996 Bachelor and Master (Dipl.-Ing) in Electrical Engineering form RWTH Aachen University (Germany)
Major : III-V compound semiconductor technology
MEMS/NEMS devices and technology
Lab on Chip, Micro-sensors and microactuators
RF devices, power electronics and optoelectronic devices
Valveless Fluid Injection System : MEMS Micropump and Micromixer
This invented device is a MEMS based microfluidic device used as fluid injection system. This device enables the transport of fluids from the sample container to the human body or to a biological analysis system with an accurate uniform mixture and very low fluidic sample injection rate. The invented device consists of the planar electromagnetic coil, flexible magnetic membrane, pump-mixer chamber and microfluidic channels. The fluid injection system is functioning due to the electromagnetically membrane actuation in the pump/mixer chamber that create turbulences and a pressure difference between the chamber and outlet. A periodically push-pull action of the membrane causes a peristaltic fluid pump enabling a net fluid flow from the inlet to the outlet without using the mechanical valve. The Fluid injection system has the total covering area of 15 x 5 mm2. The system structure consists of glass or PCB substrate, air gap, PDMS membrane, magnetic actuator and channel with a total device thickness of only 3 mm. The injection system is capable to transport the fluids within the flow range of 10 nl/min up to 10 ml/min for an approximately of 0.8 Watt of power consumption and deliver a controlled sample mixture for various biomedical applications.
- FRGS/1/2016/TK05/UKM/02/2, Investigation of Synthesized Nanostructure and Superparamagnetic property of Calcium Ferrite Nanoparticles for Targeted Drug Delivery Application, RM 103,000 (2016-2018)
- Exploratory Research Grant Scheme: ERGS/1/2013/TK02/UKM/02/3 (2013), MAGNETIC AND LIGHT SENSITIVE POLYMER MEMBRANE BASED ON EMBEDDED MAGNETIC NANOPARTICLES FOR MEMS ACTUATORS, Project Leader, RM 136,000.00, (2013-2015)
- ScienceFund: 03-01-02-SF0841 (2014), DEVELOPMENT OF INTERGRATED ELECTROMAGNETIC MICRO-PUMP BASED ON EMBEDDED PLANAR MICRO-COIL FOR ULTRA LOW FLUID INJECTION OF BIO-SAMPLES, Project Leader, RM 125,000.00, (2014-2016)
- ScienceFund: 03-01-02-SF0849 (2013), DEVELOPMENT OF HIGH TEMPERATURE RESISTANT SILICON CARBIDE (SiC) BASED MEMS PRESSURE SENSOR FOR MONITORING GAS TURBINE PERFORMANCE, Co-Researcher, RM 235,000.00 / 3Yrs.
- Fundamental Research Grant Scheme: FRGS/1/2014/TK04/UKM/02/2 (2014), Thin Nanoporous Silicon Membrane for Biological Fluids Filtration, Co-Researcher, RM 129,000.00 / 4Yrs.
- NanoFund NND/ND/(1)/TD11-002 (2010), Development of lab-on chip for peripheral blood stem cel isolation and rapid detection of tropical diseases from blood RM 498,200.00 / 4Yrs.
- Projek Arus Perdana: UKM-AP-NBT-10-2009 (2009), Lab on Chip for Medical Applications (Micro Total Analysis System), Co-Researcher, RM 902.200 / 2Yrs
Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS) UKM-RRR1-07-FRGS0258-2010 (2010), Synthesization and Characterization of Glucose-sensitive Hydrogel, Co-Researcher, RM 68.800/2Yrs
- Best Paper Awards at IEEE-ICSE2018
- Best Presentation Award at Japan-Malaysia Joint Symposium on Nanoelectronics 2017
- EMERALD Outstanding Paper Awards 2016 (2 Papers)
- Best Poster Award at International Conference and Workshop on Nanotechnology (IWCN-ISESCO2012 ). 2012.
- UKM Research Excellent Award 2011
- Gold medals in Malaysia Technology Expo (MTE2009) Kuala Lumpur 2009, Invention title : Micropump for Drug Delivery Systems
- Bronze Medal in International Trade Fair (IENA2007), Nuernberg, Germany, Invention Title: 3D ON-Chip Micro-Transformer for Power Supply. 2007
- Bronze medal in International Invention, Innovation and Technology Expo (ITEX2007), Kuala Lumpur, 2007, Invention title: 3D On-Chip Micro-Transformer for Power Supply.
- Silver medal in Malaysia Technology Expo (MTE2007), Kuala Lumpur, 2007, Invention title: Sandwich Micro-Transformer for on-chip RF-IC Application.
- JSPS-LIPI, visiting research fellow at University of Chiba, Japan, 2003., Research Title: Design and Simulation of Micromachined Antenna
- Integrated Excellent Research, funded by National Research Council, Indonesia, Development of InP based MSM Photodetectors.1998-2000.
ACADEMIC AND RESEARCH EMPLOYMENT HISTORY:
2009-present. Research Fellow, MEMS research Lab, IMEN-UKM. Project Title : Development of Lab on Chip.
2008-2009. Visiting Fellow, MEMS research Lab, IMEN-UKM. Project Title : Development of MEMS devices and micro sensors.
2004-2008. Research Assistant, MEMS Research Lab, IMEN-UKM. Project Title : Development of MEMS Technology for RF and Automotive Application.
2003-2004. Visiting Fellow at Chiba University, Center for Frontier Electronics Research Lab, Chiba, Japan. Project Title : Design and Simulation of Micromachined Patch Antenna.
1997-2004. Principal Researcher, Microelectronics Research Labs, Research Center for Electronics and Telecomunication, LIPI-Bandung, Indonesia. Project Title : Development of III-V compound semiconductor optoelectronics devices.
- International Journal Editorial Board: MICROELECTRONICS INTERNATIONAL, TELKOMNIKA, Jurnal Elektronika dan Telekomunikasi (JET) and Indonesia Journal of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (IJEECS)
- Guess Editor: Journal of Microengineering and Nanotechnology
- Research papers reviewer: more than 20 international journal manuscripts, more than 40 conference paper manuscripts.
- Conferences Committee Member: International Workshop on Nanotechnology (UKM 2011), IEEE-ICRAMET (2015-2017), ICMA (2015-2016) IEEE-ICSE (International Conference on Semiconductors Electronics, from 2008-now), IEEE-RSM (Regional Symposium on Micro and Nanoelectronics, from 2009-now), Symposium B ‘MEMS/NEMS & Nanoelectronics Devices’, Nanotech Malaysia 2009
- Conference Chairman, Seminar on the Program Development of R&D of Microelectronics and its Applications, Bandung 2003, 4th International Conference on Sustainable Resource Development, 2003
- Engineering Team Leader for Project : Brantas River Watch, Water Quality and Pollution Management (BRWWQPM), 2003
- Engineering Team Member for Project : Brantas River Watch, Water Quality and Pollution Management (BRWWQPM), 2002-2004
- Project Manager for research project funded by Ministry for Research and Technology
- Trainer : Training for industrial engineer Atelier Division of PT. Telekom Indonesia, (1999) and PT. OMEDATA, Bandung (1998)
Selected PUBLICATIONS (SCOPUS and ISI Indexed):
- Noor Hidayah Mohd Yunus, Jumril Yunas, Alipah Pawi, Zeti Akma Rhazali and Jahariah Sampe, Investigation of Micromachined Antenna Substrates Operating at 5 GHz for RF Energy Harvesting Applications, Micromachines 2019, 10, 146
- Kamarul Asyikin, Jumril Yunas, FABRICATION OF MICROMACHINED UNIFORM MICROTRENCH ARRAYS FOR SILICON BASED FILTRATION MEMBRANE, Sains Malaysiana
- RE Pawinanto, Jumril Yunas & Abdul Manaf Hashim, Design optimization of active microfluidic mixer incorporating micropillar on flexible membrane, Microsystem Technologies Micro- and Nanosystems Information Storage and Processing Systems, Microsystem Technologies (2019) 25:1203–1209
- Mohd Said, Jumril Yunas, Badariah Bais, Azrul Azlan Hamzah and Burhanuddin Yeop Majlis, The Design, Fabrication, and Testing of an Electromagnetic Micropump with a Matrix-Patterned Magnetic Polymer Composite Actuator Membrane, Micromachines 9(1), 13 (2018), doi:10.3390/mi9010013
- Tuan Norjihan Tuan Yaakub, Jumril Yunas, Rhonira Latif, Azrul Azlan Hamzah , Mohd Farhanulhakim Mohd Razip Wee and Burhanuddin Yeop Majlis, Surface Modification of Electroosmotic Silicon Microchannel Using Thermal Dry Oxidation, Micromachines 9(5), 222 (2018)
- H. Sulaiman, M.J. Ghazali, J. Yunas, A. Rajabi, B.Y. Majlis, M. Razali, Synthesis and characterization of CaFe2O4 nanoparticles via co-precipitation and auto-combustion methods, Ceramics International, 44 (2018) 46-50
- Muzalifah Mohd Said, Jumril Yunas, Badariah Bais, Azrul Azlan Hamzah and Burhanuddin Yeop Majlis, HYBRID POLYMER COMPOSITE MEMBRANE FOR ELECTROMAGNETIC VALVELESS MICROPUMP, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering (27), 075021 (2017)
- Norihan Abdul Hamid, Mazree Ibrahimb, Syafeeza Ahmad Radzia, Wong Yan Chiewa, Jumril Yunas and Burhanuddin Yeop Majlis, Stack Bonded Thermo-Pneumatic Micro-pump Utilizing Polyimide Based Actuator, Microsystem Technologies, 23 (9) (2017)
- Norhafizah Burham , Azrul Azlan Hamzah , Jumril Yunas and Burhanuddin Yeop Majlis, Electrochemicall etched nanoporous Silicon membrane for Separation of Biological molecules in mixture, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Volume 27, 075021 (2017)
- Muzalifah Mohd. Said, Jumril Yunas∗, Roer Eka Pawinanto, Burhanuddin Yeop Majlis,Badariah Bais, PDMS based electromagnetic actuator membrane with embedded magnetic particles in polymer composite Membrane for Biomedical Applications, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 245 (2016): 85–96
- Jumril Yunas, Muzalifah Mohd. Said1, Roer Eka Pawinanto, Burhanuddin Yeop Majlis, Enhancement of metal coil quality on selective p‑silicon based planar electromagnetic coil by thermal annealing process, Microsyst Technologies, 22(10) (2016): 2493-2497, DOI 10.1007/s00542-015-2633-1
- J. Yunas, B.Y Majlis, A.A Hamzah, B. Bais and N. Sulaiman, Voltage Transfer Analysis of Sandwich Coupled Inductors for MEMS Planar Magnetic Sensor, Journal of Microsyst. Technologies (2015)
- N.A. Hamid, J. Yunas, B. Yeop Majlis, A.A. Hamzah and B. Bais, Microfabrication of Si3N4-polyimide membrane for thermo-pneumatic actuator, Microelectronics International, 32 (1), (2015) 18–24
- A A Hamzah, H E Zainal Abidin, B Yeop Majlis, M Mohd Nor, A Ismardi, G Sugandi, T Y Tiong, C F Dee and J Yunas, Electrochemically deposited and etched membranes with precisely sized micropores for biological fluids Microfiltration, J. Micromech. Microeng. 23 (2013) 074007 (9pp)
- Hafzaliza Erny Zainal Abidin, Azrul Azlan Hamzah, Burhanuddin Yeop Majlis, Jumril Yunas, Norihan Abdul Hamid, Ummikalsom Abidin, Electrical characteristics of double stacked Ppy-PVA supercapacitor for powering biomedical MEMS devices, Microelectronic Engineering 111 (2013), pp. 374–378
- J. Yunas, B. Y. Majlis , A. A. Hamzah & B. Bais, Design, fabrication and testing of sandwich coupled inductors, Microsyst. Technologies (2012), 18:739–744
- A.A. Hamzah, N. Abd Aziz, B. Yeop Majlis, J. Yunas, C.F. Dee and B Bais2, Optimization of HNA etching parameters to produce high aspect ratio solid silicon microneedles,J. Micromech. Microeng. 22 (2012) 095017 (10pp)
- Juliana Johari, Jumril Yunas, Azrul Azlan Hamzah & Burhanuddin Yeop Majlis, “Piezoelectric Micropump with Nanoliter Per Minute Flow for Drug Delivery Systems”, Sains Malaysiana, vol. 40(3): 275-281,(2011).
- J. Yunas, N. Sulaiman, G. Sugandi, A.A Hamzah and B.Y. Majlis, Geometrical Analysis of Planar Coil Design for fluxgate Magnetometer, J. Microsyst. Technol. (2010) 16(11): 1939-1944, DOI 10.1007/s00542-010-1123-8
- Ille C. Gebeshuber, Herbert Stachelberger, Bahram Azizollah, Dee Chang Fu, Jumril Yunas, Burhanuddin Yeop Majlis, “Exploring the Innovational Potential of Biomimetics for Novel 3D MEMS”,Advanced Materials Research Vol. 74 (2009) pp 265-268.
- Yunas J, Hamzah A.A, Majlis B.Y,” Surface micromachined onchip transformer fabricated on glass substrate”, J. Microsyst. Technol. (2009) 15:547-552.
- Yunas J, Hamzah A.A & Majlis B.Y, ” Fabrication and characterization of surface micromachined stacked transformer on glass substrate”,Microelectronic Engineering 86 (10), (2009) pp. 2020-2025.
- Jumril Yunas, Azrul Azlan Hamzah and Burhanuddin Yeop Majlis, “High Frequency Analysis on Surface Micromachined On-Chip Transformers with Stacked Interwinding Coil Structures”, J. Micromech. Microeng. 18(2008), doi:10.10088/0960-1317/18/12/125009.
- J. Yunas, B.Y. Majlis, “Comparative study of stack interwinding micro-transformers on silicon monolithic”, Microelectronics Journal 39 (2008) 1564-1567.
- A.A. Hamzah , J. Yunas, B.Y. Majlis, I. Ahmad, “Sputtered Encapsulation as Wafer Level Packaging for Isolatable MEMS Devices: A Technique Demonstrated on a Capacitive Accelerometer”, Sensors 2008, 8, (2008) 7438-7452.
- Inventors: Burhanuddin Yeop Majlis and Jumril Yunas
Title : Stack Bonded On-chip Microtransformer
Certificate No.: P12008 4587Â
- Inventors: Jumril Yunas and Muzalifah Mohd Said
Title : ELECTROMAGNETIC MICROPUMP WITH PATTERNABLE MAGNETIC POLYMER COMPOSITES BASED ACTUATOR MEMBRANE AND METHOD OF FABRICATION
Certificate : PI 2016 701994
Date : 1 June 2016