Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ahmad Rifqi Md Zain
Research Fellow / Senior Lecturer
Ahmad Rifqi Md Zain is Associate professor of Electronics engineering at Institute of Microengineering and Naoelectronics (IMEN), Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM). He received his degree and masters degree from Coventry University and Glasgow university, United Kingdom in 2002 and 2005 respectively. Ahmad rifqi also worked with Marconi Communication as hardware engineer United Kingdom from 2002-2004 before pursuing his study at Glasgow university. In 2009, He received his PhD from Glasgow University, United kingdom (with Prof Richard De La Rue), in Electronics engineering (1D photonic crystal cavities). After completing his posdoctoral studies in 2012 at Bristol university in Gallium nitride based optical biosensors (with Prof Martin J. Cryan), he joined IMEN, UKM in August, 2014. In 2017, he joined Prof Marko Loncar at School of engineering and applied sciences (SEAS), Harvard University as posdoctoral research fellow in applied physics until 2019, working on Quantum information. Ahmad Rifqi is expert in nanophotonics, optoelectronics and nanofabrication, and his current interest include optical imaging at infra-red region, 2D materials, optical based biosensors (including Photonic crystal based waveguide, SERS, LSPR), 1D and 2D photonic crystals, optical MEMS sensors, enviromental and agricultural based sensors (including water security and farming industry), integrated optics and nanofabrication. Ahmad Rifqi is a member of of Optical Society of America, IEEE. IET and SPIE. Ahmad Rifqi has been awarded several research grants nationally and internationally.
EDUCATIONS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
2005-2009 PhD (University of Glasgow )
2004-2005 Masters (Msc) in Optoelectronics Engineering ( University of Glasgow)
1998-2002 Beng (Hons) in Telecommunications Engineering-University of Coventry
2009-2012 : Research Associate, University of Bristol
2002-2004 : Hardware Engineer, Marconi Communications, Coventry, United Kingdom
- Optical MEMS,
- Optical imaging
- 2D materials
- optical based biosensors (including Photonic crystal based waveguide, SERS, LSPR)
- 1D and 2D photonic crystals cavities
- Enviromental and agricultural based sensors (including water security and farming industry)
- Integrated optics
1. A.R.Md Zain and Martin.J.Cryan,” Design and Fabrications of Photnic Crystal (PhC) Based on Gallium Nitride (GaN) on Sapphire”, Ninth International Conference on Photonic and Electromagnetic Crystal Structures, PECS-IX 2010, Granada, Spain ,26-30 September 2012.
2. Hueting NA, Engin E, Md Zain A.R, Sarua A, Heard P.J, Kubal M, Wang T and Cryan M.J,” A gallium nitride distributed bragg reflector cavity for integrated photonics applications”, CLEO: Applications and Technology, CLEO_AT 2012; San Jose, US, 6-11 May 2012.
3. Hueting NA, Engin E, Md Zain A.R, Sarua A, Heard P.J, Kubal M, Wang T and Cryan M.J,” A gallium nitride distributed bragg reflector cavity for integrated photonics applications”,Optics Infobase, Quantum Electronics and Laser Science Conference, QELS 2012; San Jose, US, 6-11 May 2012.
4. Y.Bourgin, Y.Jourlin, O.Parriaux, A.Talneau, S.Tonchev, C.Veillas, P.Karvinen, N.Passilly, Ahmad.R.Md Zain, Richard.M.De La Rue,J.V.Erps, “100 nm period grating realised by high-index phase-mask immersion lithography,” Optics Express, Vol: 18, No: 10, pp: 10557-10566, 10th May 2010.
5. A.R.Md Zain, N.P.Johnson, M.Sorel and R.M.De La Rue,” Design and Fabrication of High Quality-Factor 1D Photonic Crystal/Photonic Wire Extended Micro-Cavities”, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol: 22, No: 9, pp. 610-612, 1st May 2010.
6. Michele Belotti, Matteo Galli, Dario Gerace, Lucio Claudio Andreani, Giorgio Guizzetti, Ahmad R. Md Zain, Nigel PJohnson, Marc Sorel and Richard M. De La Rue,” All Optical Switching in Silicon-on-Insulator Photonic Wire Nano-Cavities”, Optics Express, Vol: 18, No: 2, pp: 1450-1461, 18th January 2010.
1. A.R.Md Zain, N.P.Johnson, M.Sorel and R.M.De La Rue,” High Quality-Factor 1D-Suspended Photonic Crystal/Photonic Wire Silicon Waveguide Micro-Cavities”, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol: 21, No: 24, pp 1789-1791, 15th December 2009.
7. A.R.Md Zain, N.P.Johnson, M.Sorel and R.M.De La Rue, “Coupling Strength Control in Photonic Crystal/Photonic Wire Multiple Cavity Devices”, Electronics Letters, 20 (5), 26th February 2009.
8. M. Belotti, M. Galli, D. Gerace and L.C. Andreani, A. R. Md Zain, N. P. Johnson, M. Sorel and R. M. De La Rue,” All-optical logical operation in photonic wire nano-cavities”, CLEO Europe, EQEC 2009, 14-19 June 2009.
9. Belotti, M. Galli, M. Gerace, D. Andreani, L.C. Zain, A.R.M. Johnson, N.P. Sorel, M. De La Rue, R.M,” All optical switching in silicon-on-insulator photonic wire nano-cavities”, IEEE/LEOS Winter Topicals Meeting Series, 2009, Page(s):30 – 31, 12-14 Jan. 2009.
10. Belotti, M. Galli, M. Gerace, D. Andreani, L.C. Zain, A.R.M. Johnson, N.P. Sorel, M. De La Rue, R.M,” All optical switching in silicon-on-insulator photonic wire nano-cavities”, Slow and Fast Light, Integrated Photonics and Nanophotonics Research and Applications (IPNRA), Honolulu, Hawaii, 17th July 2009.
11. A.R.Md Zain, N.P.Johnson, M.Sorel and R.M.De La Rue,” Ultra high Quality Factor One Dimensional Photonic Crystal/Photonic Wire Micro-cavities in Silicon-on-Insulator (SOI)”, Optics Express, Vol: 16, No: 16, 4th of August 2008.
12. Ahmad R. Md Zain, H.M.H. Chong, M.Gnan M.Sorel, R.M. De La Rue,” Tapered Photonic Crystal Microcavities Embedded in Photonic Wire waveguides with large Resonance Quality Factor and High Transmission”, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol:20, No: 1, pp 6-8, 1 January 2008.
13. Ahmad R.Md Zain and R.M.De La Rue,”Advancing the performance of One-Dimensional Photonic Crystal/Photonic Wire Microcavities in Silicon-on-Insulator”, Integrated Photonics and Nanophotonics Research and Applications (IPNRA), Boston, Massachusset, U.S.A, 13-16 July 2008.
14. Ahmad R.Md Zain , N.P.Johnson, M.Sorel and R.M.De La Rue,”High Quality-Factor suspended- wire 1D Photonic Crystal Micro-cavity in Silicon-on-insulator (SOI)”, Pos-deadline paper, European Conference in Integrated Optics 2008 (ECIO’08), Eindhoven, The Netherlands, 10-13th of June 2008.
15. Y.Jourlin, E.Gamet, Olivier M. Parriaux, Stéphanie Reynaud, Univ. Jean Monnet Saint-Etienne (France); Anne Talneau, Lab. de Photonique et de Nanostructures (France); Petri Karvinen, Nicolas Passilly, Joensuu Yliopisto (Finland); Ahmad M. Zain, Richard M. De La Rue, Univ. of Glasgow (United Kingdom), ” DUV phase mask for 100 nm period grating printing”, Photonic Europe (SPIE Europe), Paper 6992-11, Strasbourg, France, 7-11 April 2008.
16. Ahmad R. Md Zain, N.P.Johnson, R.M.De La Rue,” High Transmisison 1D Photonic Crystal/Photonic Wire Multiple Cavity Structures Based on Silicon-on-Insulator (SOI)”, Photonic Europe (SPIE Europe), SPIE Proceeding 6989-46, Strasbourg, France, 7-11 April 2008.
17. Ahmad Rifqi Md Zain, H.Chong, N.Johnson, R.M.De La Rue”, Fine Tuning of Single Row Photonic Crystal Extended Cavities Embedded in Photonic Wire Waveguides”, International Conference of Microelectronics, MEMS and Nanotechnology, SPIE Proceeding Vol. 6801 68010U(1-9), Australian National University (ANU), Canberra, Australia, 4-7 December 2007.
18. Ahmad R.Md Zain and R.M.De La Rue,” Ultra High-Q Single Row Photonic Crystal/Photonic Wire Cavities Based on Silicon-on-Insulator (SOI)”, Annual Meeting of European Network of Excellence on Photonic Integrated Components and Circuits (ePIXnet), 6-7 September 2007, Valencia, Spain.
19. Ahmad R. Md Zain, A. Samarelli, M.Gnan, H.M.H.Chong, M.Sorel, Richard De La Rue, Paola Frascella, Caterina Ciminelliand Mario Armenise,” Single Row SOI-based Photonic Crystal/Photonic Wire Micro-cavities with Medium Q-factor and High Transmission”, International Conference of Integrated Photonics and Nano-photonics Research and Appliations (IPNRA) 2007, OSA Technical Digest (Optical Society of America, 2007), paper IWD5, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, 8-11 July 2007.
20. Ahmad R.Md Zain, H.M.H.Chong, A.Samarelli, M.Gnan, M.Sorel, R.M.De La Rue,”Photonic Crystal (PhC) micro-cavity filters embedded in Silicon on Insulator (SOI) photonic wire waveguides”, Micro-Technologies For The New Millennium 2007, Proc. of SPIE Vol. 6593 65931M(1-7), 2-4 May 2007, Gran Canaria, Spain (Invited paper).
21. Ahmad Rifqi Md Zain and Richard M.De La Rue,” Tapered Periodic Photonic Crystal (PhC) micro-cavity filters embedded in a ridge waveguides”, The Application of Photonic Integration- European Network of Excellence on Photonic Integrated Components and Circuits (ePIXnet) meeting 2007, 11-16 March 2007, Pontresina, Switzerland.
22. Richard .M.De La Rue, M.Gnan, H.M.H.Chong, Ahmad Md Zain et.all ” Photonic Crystal and Photonic Wire Nano-photonic based on Silicon-on-Insulator”, New Journal of Physic (IOP) Vol : 8, (2006) 256, pp 1-15, October 2006.
23. Richard M. De La Rue, A.Z. Khokhar, B.Lahiri, M.Sorel, F.Rahman, M.Gnan, H.M.H. Chong, P.Pottier, Ahmad Md Zain, C.N. Ironside, J. W.Ogungbenro, N.P. Johnson and S.McMeekin,”Element of Nanophotonics: Photonic Crystals, Photonic wires, Metamaterials and More”, IEEE International Conference of Optoelectronic and Microelectronic Materials and Devices (COMMAD) 2006, pp 312-314, 6th -8th of December 2006, Perth, Western Australia
24. Ahmad R.Md Zain, R.M.De La Rue,” Design, Fabrication and measurement of SOI based photonic wire devices, including Bragg Grating structures”, IEEE 8th International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks (ICTON) 2006, Vol:4, page 274-274, June 2006, Nottingham, UK.
25. Johnson, N.P.; Chongjun Jin; Khokhar, A.Z.; Gnan, M.; Zain, A.R.M.; Chong, H.M.H.; Mandel, J.; De La Rue, R.M,” Nanophotonic structures: from photonic crystals to metamaterials”, Transparent Optical Networks, 2005, Proceedings of 2005 7th International Conference Volume: 1 3-7 July 2005 Page(s): 171- 171b.
26. M.Gnan, Ahmad R.Md Zain,H.M.H.Chong,R.M.De La Rue,”Modelling of photonic wire Bragg grating structure”, XIII International workshop, Optical waveguide theory and numerical modeling (OWTNM), Grenoble, France, 8-9 April 2005
27. Richard De La Rue, M.Sorel, N.Johnson, F.Rahman, C.Ironside, L.Cronin, I.Watson, R.Martin, C.Jin, P.Pottier, H.Chong, M.Gnan, A.Jugessur, E.Camargo, G.Erwin, Ahmad Md Zain, I.Ntakis, L.Hobbs, D.Coquillat,” Semiconductor-Based Active and Passive Nanophotonics”, Nanophotonics for Information Systems (NPIS), Technical Digest (Optical Society of America, 2005), Paper NWC2, April 2005, San Diego, U.S.A.
28. Richard De La Rue, N.Johnson, C.Jin, P.Pottier, H.Chong, M.Gnan, A.Jugessur, E.Camargo, G.Erwin, Ahmad Md Zain, I.Ntakis,” Planar Photonic Crystal (PhC) and Photonic Wire (PhW) Device Structures: What Are the Simulation Issues?”, Integrated Photonics Research and Applications (IPRA), paper ITuB5- Technical Digest (Optical Society of America, 2005), April 2005, San Diego, U.S.A.