Dr. Norhayati Abu Bakar
BSc. in Physics, UKM (2008)
Msc. in Microengineering and Nanoelectronics, IMEN, UKM (2011)
PhD. in Microengineering and Nanoelectronics, IMEN, UKM (2015)
Postdoctoral Researcher, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia: Jan 2016-Jan 2017
Lecturer/Research Fellow, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia: May 2017-present
Nanomaterials, sensor, plasmonics biosensor, organic electronic, surface plasmon resonance, surface-enhanced Raman scattering
Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc. USA
Member, IEEE-Electron Devices Society Malaysia Chapter
Member, Malaysia Board of Technologist (MBOT)
Research on food, water and environmental contaminations is critically important. Current experimental and laboratory techniques in Malaysia to obtain evidence of the contamination are not sufficient. Clearly, monitoring of the chemical load in the environment is vital for safety and activity in this area will only increase in the coming years. In IMEN, our Organic and Printed Electronic Group work on the detection of organic pollutants in agriculture and environment, water and food contaminations and analysis of biological molecules due to their toxicity, persistence, long-range transport ability and bioaccumulation.
Based on our analytical technique in optical engineering, we produce rapid and accurate detection of a plasmonic device using nanotechnology. However, there are considerable challenges in the areas of producing ultimate sensitivity which depend directly on the quality of the nanomaterials used as a sensing material. Therefore, we have been aspiring to explore nanomaterials such as noble metal, metal oxide, 2D materials and other transition metal dichalcogenides which are potentially applied as a highly sensitive detector in localized surface plasmon resonance (LSPR) and surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS).
- “Fabrication of Ag/TiO2 nanocomposites thin films as ultra-sensitive surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) substrates”, Young Researcher Grant [GGPM-2017-049], RM 46 000
- “Building surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy (SERS) based biosensor”, IRUN-MRUN-Collaboration project [MRUN-2015-002], RM124 000
- “Efficient and bright light-emitting diode on single-layer graphene electrodes”, Long-Term Research Grant Scheme [LRGS/2015/UKM-UKM/NANOMITE/04/04], RM1 033 400
- “Silicon-perovskite tandem heterojunction: Emerging approach for higher efficiency solar cell”, Research University Grant [GUP-2017-077], RM60 000
- “Kretschmann-based electrochemical surface plasmon resonance (K-ESCPR) hybrid biosensor for kidney-related disease”, Fundamental Research Grant Scheme [FRGS/1/2019/STG02/UKM/02/8], RM 103 000.
- “Investigation of Gold Nanobipyramids Properties as Potential Sensing Material in Plasmonic Sensor towards Glyphosate-Based Herbicides Detection in Food Agricultural Sector” Fundamental Research Grant Scheme [FRGS/1/2019/STG07/UTHM/02/1], RM 95 000.
- Norhayati Abu Bakar, Muhamad Mat Salleh and Akrajas Ali Umar. 2019. Fluorescence sensor design for pesticide detection using ZnCdSe quantum dots. Sains Malaysiana 48 (7), pp: 1513-1518.
- Norhayati Abu Bakar, Muhamad Mat Salleh, Akrajas Ali Umar and Joseph George Shapter. 2019. Effect of silver concentration towards formation of AgPt nanofern films as SERS substrates. Material Science Forum 948, pp: 231-236.
- Mohammad Farid Abd Karim, Marlia Morsin, Suratun Nafisah, Norhayati Abu Bakar and Munirah Ab Rahman. 2018. Designing of 3D sensor chamber for plasmonic-based toxic sensor detection. International Journal of Engineering & Technology 7 (4.30), pp: 194-199.
- Norhayati Abu Bakar, Muhamad Mat Salleh, Akrajas Ali Umar and Joseph George Shapter. 2018. Effect of surface density silver nanoplate films towards surface-enhanced Raman scattering enhancement for bisphenol A detection. Journal of Physics: Conference Series 985, 012026, pp: 6pp.
- Norhayati Abu Bakar, Nur Adliha Abdullah, Akrajas Ali Umar, Muhamad Mat Salleh and Joseph George Shapter. 2018. Optimum growth time in AgPt nanofern preparation for enhancement of surface-enhanced Raman scattering intensity. Advances in Natural Sciences: Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 9 (4), 045012.
- Norhayati Abu Bakar, Muhamad Mat Salleh, Akrajas Ali Umar and Joseph George Shapter. 2017. Design and measurement technique of surface-enhanced Raman scattering for detection of bisphenol A. Advances in Natural Sciences: Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 8, 025008 (5pp).
- Norhayati Abu Bakar, Muhamad Mat Salleh and Akrajas Ali Umar. 2017. Detection of creatinine on triangular silver nanoplates surface using surface-enhanced Raman scattering sensor. International Journal of Biomedical Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 3 (4) pp: 335-342.
- Nur Adliha Abdullah, Norhayati Abu Bakar, Joseph George Shapter, Muhamad Mat Salleh and Akrajas Ali Umar. 2017. Synthesis of silver-platinum nanoferns substrates used in surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy sensors to detect creatinine. Advances in Natural Sciences: Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 8 025015 (4pp).
- Norhayati Abu Bakar, Muhamad Mat Salleh, Akrajas Ali Umar and Joseph George Shapter. 2017. Direct deposition of silver nanoplates on quartz surface by sequence pre-treatment hydroxylation and silanisation. MethodsX 4, pp: 486-491.
- Norhayati Abu Bakar, Muhamad Mat Salleh, Akrajas Ali Umar & Joe Shapter. 2016. Triangular silver nanoplate thin film as surface-enhanced Raman scattering substrates to detect bisphenol A. Optical Nanospectroscopy III: 3rd Annual conference of The Cost Action MP1302, CNR Edizioni, Roma. ISBN: 978-88-8080-207-5, pp. 110-111.
- Tengku Hasnan Tengku Abdul Aziz, Muhamad Mat Salleh, Norhayati Abu Bakar, Akrajas Ali Umar & Mohd Yusri Abdul Rahman. 2016. Electroluminescence enhancement of polymer light emitting diodes through surface plasmons by Ag nanoplates. Acta Physica Polonica A 129(4): pp. 711-713.
- Nur Adliha Abdullah, Norhayati Abu Bakar, Muhamad Mat Salleh & Akrajas Ali Umar. 2016. Application of gold nanoseeds in surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy for detection of urea. KnE Engineering 2016: 6 pages.
- Norhayati Abu Bakar, Joe George Shapter, Muhamad Mat Salleh & Akrajas Ali Umar. 2015. Self-assembly of high density of triangular silver nanoplate films promoted by 3-aminopropyltrimethoxysilane. Applied Sciences 5: pp. 209-221.
- Norhayati Abu Bakar, Muhamad Mat Salleh & Akrajas Ali Umar. 2015. A high sensitive of an optical Raman sensor system to detect bisphenol A. Testing and Measurement: Techniques and Applications – Chan (Ed.). Taylor & Francis Group, London. ISBN: 978-1-138-02812-8, pp. 155-158.