Mode of Study: Research
Registration Status: Full Time
The Doctor of Philosophy programme covers a wide range of research disciplines offered by the six Research Centres at FSSK. A Doctoral degree will broaden your knowledge and expertise in your chosen field and help you to advance in your career as a scientific researcher. FSSK is committed to providing our future researchers with the best research experience in the disciplines of social sciences and humanities.
LIFE AT THE FACULTY
FSSK is located on the UKM campus in Bangi, Selangor, 35 km south of Kuala Lumpur. FSSK is a centre of excellence that fosters the kind of critical thinking and creativity that builds leaders.
Learning at FSSK is designed to promote independent thinking and active participation. FSSK has an impressive and proven track record in teaching, research and publication, as well as graduate employability. We offer students an innovative, supportive and intellectually challenging environment that stimulates them to succeed in their chosen field of study.
FSSK is home to some of Malaysia’s foremost scholars, many of whom are world experts in their fields, nationally and internationally renowned for their research. It is no wonder that the government of Malaysia has bestowed on UKM research university status.
FSSK is committed to equipping students with the most effective ways of learning. We start from the belief that as every student is an individual, learning is a personal journey rather than a standardised, linear progression. We therefore assist student to discover their own learning style, to understand and build their motivation, and to acquire effective study skills that will retain their value throughout their lives.
A person who intends to apply for a doctoral programme should have the following
1. Master’s Degree from a University or any institution of higher learning recognized by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) and/ or have accreditation recognized by a foreign Accreditation Body, or an institution with accreditation as prescribed by a programme;
2. Other qualifications equivalent to a masters degree or other qualifications with experience recognised by the Senate; or
3. Student currently pursuing full time master’s programme under sub regulation 6 (a) at the University and recommended by the Faculty’s/ Institute’s Graduate Studies Committee for status conversion to a doctoral programme with approval from the Dean/ Director; or
4. Bachelor Degree with distinction from the University or any institution of higher learning subject to what is prescribed by the Faculty/ Institute and approval by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) and/ or with accreditation recognised by a foreign Accreditation Board
5. Any other qualification recognised by the Senate obtained through the Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL); or
6. Fulfils other requirements prescribed by the programme (if applicable); and
7. Fulfils requirements of the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA)
a) Obtained TOEFL (550), IELTS(6) or MUET (4) results which fulfil the score or minimum band requirements prescribed by the programme; or
b) For certain programmes, a candidate is required to sit for an English Proficiency Test (EPT) and if he/she fails to achieve the level specified by the programme, the candidate is required to attend and pass the English Proficiency Module (EPM) in a maximum period of two (2) semesters before he is allowed to register for the study programme. The candidate shall register as a Non Graduating Student.2. The Faculty/Institute may grant exemption to the requirements specified in subregulation (1) for the international candidate who:
a) will be writing his/her thesis/dissertation in the Malay/ Arabic languages;
b) has the academic qualifications obtained from any local universities recognised by the Senate; or
c) is originally from a country where English is the official language or he/she has the academic qualifications obtained from any higher learning institution which uses English as the medium of instruction.The candidate may be exempted from the requirements stated in subregulation (2), but the candidate shall sit for the English Proficiency Test (EPT) and if he/she fails to obtain the level specified by the programme, the candidate is required to attend and pass the English Proficiency Module (EPM).
Please contact Centre for Academic Management for further details:
Tel: +603 8911 8173/ 8027/ 8456
Fax: +603 89118471
Campus : Bangi, Selangor
Faculty : Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities
Degree : Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities
Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
43600 UKM Bangi, Selangor
|Two Years (Indonesian Only)
|Visa Fee (according to country – not exceeding RM 50)
|Service Tax (6%)
All in Ringgit Malaysia (RM)
|Burkina Faso Burundi
|Nigeria Rwanda Western Sahara
|Central African Republic
|Equatorial Guinea Ethiopia
|Republic Congo Republic
|Fee for other countries