Course Director: Dr Ahmad Tarmizi Musa
Trainer: Associate Professor Dr. Suraya Binti Aziz/ Dr Ahmad Tarmizi Musa
Duration of training: 12 – 18 Months
Training Centre: UKM Medical Centre/ Hospital Canselor Tuanku Muhriz, Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur
Eligibility: Independent and certified radiologist or equivalent specialty.
Objectives of Programme:
- To obtain clinical knowledge relevant to medical and surgical management of musculoskeletal related, rheumatology diseases such that the trainee is confident to discuss the appropriate imaging strategy and/or interventional technique for the clinical problem with the referring clinician.
- In-depth understanding of indications, contraindications and complications of imaging and radiological procedures as well as their relative efficacy compared with other imaging or treatment options.
- To understand broad principles and techniques associated with Musculoskeletal Radiology.
- Extensive direct practical exposure with appropriate graded supervision in all forms of appropriate imaging in Musculoskeletal Radiology.
- To have a one on one mentorship from Musculoskeletal Radiology trainer(s) in HCTM.
- Knowledge and skills to enable safe practice of Musculoskeletal Radiology. The trainee should be fully competent in intermediate and advanced life-support.
- Allow Musculoskeletal Radiology trainees to apply their knowledge and skills in the workplace and demonstrate competence to the level of a consultant.
- To become familiar with the indications for, performance, risks, and interpretation of a broad range of Musculoskeletal Radiology in diagnostic and therapeutic.
- To understand the importance of radiation protection and applied adherently to imaging and procedures in indicated cases.
- To critically evaluate current methods of imaging and critique published research to improve local clinical practice.
- To establish long term collaboration between UKM Medical Centre/ Hospital Canselor Tuanku Muhriz (HCTM) and the Musculoskeletal Radiology trainee(s) in publishing future article and journals in Musculoskeletal Radiology locally and internationally.
- Candidate will be required to perform all clinical activities at the level of a specialist and involve in the pre-, intra- and post-procedure assessment and management of patients
- Candidate must report all the MSK related case done in the stipulated MSK cases of each modality (Ultrasound, CT, MRI).
- Candidate must attend all Musculoskeletal Radiology CME meetings, multi-disciplinary and clinical-radiological discussions.
- Candidate will also organise and required to attend and be involved in the Musculoskeletal monthly radiological case sharing done via Zoom platform to enhance understanding as well having professional coaching from external Musculoskeletal Radiology trainer(s).
- Candidate must be active in case discussions, work-up and plan for the cases.
- Candidate will educate and teach other health professionals, residents and the public with regards to imaging related topics.
- Candidate is required to communicate effectively with mentors, other radiologists and clinical colleagues from other disciplines and demonstrate appropriate level of professionalism in communication, encompassing both oral and written form.
- Candidate must keep a log book and an audit of his/her performance.
- Candidate is encouraged to publish at least ONE case / case series/ original research/ review article and ONE clinical audit/ research / case report present at hospital based or national level seminars.
Certificate of completion of training certified by Course Director and Dean, Faculty of Medicine UKM will be given to all successful candidates.
- Please apply at least 6 months before intended start date.
- You will need Temporary Practising Certificate (TPC) by Malaysian Medical Council (MMC). Please ensure you fulfil all the requirements for TPC. https://mmc.gov.my/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/TPC_July_2019_2.pdf
- Application for TPC will be forwarded to MMC by UKM except for Letter of Good Standing.
- Application will go through assessments before being call for face to face or online interview.
The result of the application will be notified via email.