Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Secretariat of Postgraduate Studies - Faculty of Medicine
PhD programmes offered by Faculty of Medicine UKM are classified as research mode. The programmes are conducted primarily through research works under supervision of academic faculty members to produce a full thesis at the end of the study. This mode of study is chosen by students who seek discovery of in-depth and novel knowledge, enjoy critical thinking and problem solving, and planning for career advancement. Various programmes are available, depending on the research areas. Ultimately, the programmes aim to produce graduates who are qualified and competitive for the workforce.
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Genetic Counseling
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Tissue Engineering
Full-Time : 6 – 12 Semesters (Maximum)
Part-Time : 8 – 14 Semesters (Maximum)
*** International Students : Full-Time Only
Throughout the Academic Year
- Master Degree from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia or from other university recognized by the university Senate; OR
- Other qualifications professional/vocational-related or relevant experience equivalent to a Master’s degree by the university Senate; OR
- Students pursuing a Master’s Degree program (research mode) at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia and recommended by the Graduate Studies Committee for conversion to Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program, with approval from university Senate; OR
- A Bachelor degree with First Class Honours or equivalent with Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of not less than 3.67 from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia or other universities recognized by the university Senate; OR
- International students must have proficiency in spoken and written English with IELTS ≥ Band 6.5 or MUET ≥ Band 4 or TOEFL iBT ≥ 79 or TOEFL pBT ≥ 548 or Pearson Test of English ≥ 63 or Cambridge English Qualifications and Test ≥ 176 OR any equivalent qualifications, taken within the last two years prior to application; AND
- All international and self-financed applicants must produce an accepted written proof of financial status either in a form of an active bank/financial institution statement or accepted letter of guarantee.
The PhD programmes involves conducting original research under close supervision and producing a written thesis at the end of the study. All students are required to complete the ‘Research Methodology’ course in the beginning of the study. The Bahasa Melayu language course is compulsory for all international students which is handled by Pusat CITRA UKM.
Students will be supervised by appointed academic members of the faculty. Applicants are required to approach potential supervisors with matched research interest before applying for the study. Information regarding potential supervisors can be found at the faculty’s Secretariat of Research and Innovation website (http://www.ukm.my/spifper/) or the respective departmental websites.
Students are required to fulfill the following criteria within 12 semesters in order to be considered for graduation:
- Two accepted or published WOS indexed articles
- Complete all compulsory courses
- Research Methodology course for all students
- Bahasa Melayu course for all international students
- Pass viva exam and submit revised thesis
- Present their research findings in at least one (local or international) conference
Career prospects include but not limited to academic and research institutes, industry, and entrepreneurship.