Programme Name: FELLOWSHIP IN BURN AND WOUND CARE & PLASTIC SURGERY (UKM)
Course Director: Ms (Dr) Farrah-Hani Imran
Duration of training: 6 months (Basic) or 1 year (Advanced)
Training Centre: UKM Medical Centre, Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur
Eligibility: Independent and Certified Plastic Surgeon or General Surgeon or senior Medical Officer, with interest in Burns Management and Wound Care.
Objectives of Programme:
- To perform safe management and surgery for common burns and wound cases in adults and children.
- To learn how to set-up and maintain a Burns Unit and an operating wound care unit including instruments and equipment
- To learn how to develop good Burn Unit and Wound Care team.
- Candidate will be required to perform all clinical activities at the level of a specialist i.e. run clinics, do ward rounds, perform surgeries confidently, do on-calls.
- Candidate must attend the CMEs and courses organised by the Plastic Surgery Unit.
- Candidate must observe all cases performed either as elective or emergency.
- Candidate must pass the written and viva examinations which will be held at mid-term and at one month prior to finishing the programme.
- Candidates must assist as many cases as possible and able to perform a few common procedures independently before the final examination.
- Candidate must keep a log book and an audit of his/her performance.
- Candidate must be contactable and regularly meet with course director.
- Candidate is required to join all clinical and academic activities of the Plastic Surgery Unit.
- Candidate must publish at least 1 manuscript in a WOS journal (for 1 year training) or be involved in the production of the manuscript (for 6 months training)
Certificate of completion of training certified by Course Director and Dean, Faculty of Medicine UKM will be given to all successful candidates.
- Please apply at least 6 months before intended start date.
- You will need Temporary Practising Certificate (TPC) by Malaysian Medical Council (MMC). Please ensure you fulfil all the requirements for TPC. https://mmc.gov.my/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/TPC_July_2019_2.pdf
- Application for TPC will be forwarded to MMC by UKM except for Letter of Good Standing.