Course Director: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Norazlin Kamal Nor
Duration of Training: 3 years
Training Centre: UKM Medical Centre/ Hospital Canselor Tuanku Mukhriz, Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur
- A registered basic medical degree recognised by the Malaysian Medical Council (MMC).
- Accredited Paediatricians recognised by the Malaysian Paediatric Specialty Board
- For practitioner with MRCP/MRCPCH , he/she must have at least 18 months or more of general paediatric practice before embarking on the speciality training. During the general paediatric training, the practitioner must have at least 6 months in an accredited neonatal training centre and at least 6 months in general paediatrics.
- For practitioner with the local MPaed /MMed(Paed), he/she must
have a further 6 months period in general paediatric training ( to include 3 months in neonatology) in an accredited hospital under accredited trainers.
- Of a suitable character and with a good work attitude (references will be required from 2 Consultant Paediatricians).
Objective: To produce developmental paediatrician with competencies in the areas of development, disability and behavioural paediatrics
Objectives of Programme:
To equip the trainee with the expertise to be able to :
- deal with both normal and abnormal child development and behaviour,
- evaluate, counsel and manage medical and psychosocial aspects of neurodevelopment problems
- play an important role in advocacy for children with special needs in society.
- Candidate will be required to perform all clinical activities at the level of a specialist i.e. run clinics and do ward rounds,
- Candidate should be able and competent to diagnose and manage neurodevelopmental cases – including taking complete history, complete physical examination , including a detailed neurological, developmental and functional assessment.
- Candidate should be able to formulate, apply and continue to reappraise an appropriate management plan, taking into consideration the various factors (e.g. child, family, community and economics), which are present in each child.
This includes medical and health-based therapies, behavioural and educational options
- Candidate should be able to communicate diagnoses and management plans effectively to
families and other professionals
- Candidate should be able to work in partnership with other professionals in health, education, social services and towards child-centred care
- Candidate is required to write relevant letters and reports understandable to parents, professionals and lay people
- Candidate should be able to plan and evaluate services for populations of children with disabilities including prevention and health promotion
- Candidate should be able to teach and disseminate knowledge in health and non-health contexts
- Candidate is required to be a certified user of the Griffiths Mental Developmental Scales – Extended Revised version or the Bayley Infant Development Scales III
- Candidate must keep a portfolio and an audit of his/her performance.
11.Candidate must be contactable and regularly meet with course director.
- Candidate is required to join all clinical and academic activities of the Unit.
- Candidate is required to do research during the training and encourage to publish at least 1 manuscript in a WOS journal or present at a local or international conference.
At least two years should be spent within an accredited centre providing developmental and behavioural paediatric service, under the supervision of a developmental paediatrician., 6 months in paediatrics neurology , 3 months in child and adolescent psychiatry and 3 months in other specialities such as genetic,metabolic,paediatrics ENT/ophthalmology.
Certificate of completion of training certified by Course Director and Dean, Faculty of Medicine UKM will be given to all successful candidates.
- Please apply at least 6 months before the intended start date.
- You will need a Temporary Practising Certificate (TPC) by the Malaysian Medical Council (MMC). Please ensure you fulfil all the requirements for TPC. https://mmc.gov.my/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/TPC_July_2019_2.pdf
- Application for TPC will be forwarded to MMC by UKM except for Letter of Good Standing.