Programme Name: FELLOWSHIP IN HAND & MICROSURGERY (UKM)
Course Director : Associate Professor Dr. Shalimar Abdullah
Duration of Training : 6 months (Partial) or 1 year (Full)
Training Centre: UKM Medical Centre, PusatPerubatan UKM, Cheras. 56000
Eligibility: Certified Orthopaedic or Plastic or General Surgeon with a keen interest in Hand Surgery
Objectives of Programme:
- To provide in-depth training in all aspects of hand, upper extremity and microsurgery.
- To provide understanding of examination, diagnosis, planning, treatment, biomechanics, physical rehabilitative therapy and pathophysiological aspects of hand and upper limb function.
- To provide a holistic approach to patient care in hand surgery.
- To instill life-long learning, knowledge sharing and research in hand surgery.
Activities / Task
- Candidates are required to perform clinical duties at the level of a specialist ie. run clinics, ward rounds, perform elective, emergency, daycare surgeries and on-calls (Hand calls only).
- Candidates must attend the full 5-day Basic Microsurgery Course .
- Candidates are expected to be present at all elective, trauma, daycare and emergency hand surgeries.
- Candidates must keep a log book and an audit of his/her performance.
- Candidates must be regularly contactable.
- Candidates are required to join all clinical and academic activities of the Orthopaedic Department especially weekly Thursday clinical brushing sessions and census including teaching postgraduate and medical students where necessary.
- Candidates are required to attend or present at Hand Circles Meeting of the Malaysian Society of Surgery of the Hand (MSSH)and attend the Annual Scientific Meeting of the MSSH.
- Candidates must publish at least 1 manuscript in a WOS journal (for 1 year training) or be involved in the production of one manuscript (6 months).
- Candidates must present at least 1 free paper or poster at the Annual Scientific Meeting of MSSH or other international hand meeting.
- Candidates must pass the written and viva examinations to be held 1 month prior to finishing the programme or pass an equivalent examination such as the Diploma of Hand Surgery (European Boards) failing which the candidate will be given an attachment letter.
Certificate of completion of training certified by Course Director and Dean, Faculty of Medicine UKM will be given to all successful candidates.
- Please apply at least 6 months before the intended start date
- You will need a Temporary Practicing Certificate (TPC) by the Malaysian Medical Council (MMC). Please ensure you fulfil all the requirements for TPC.
- Application for TPC will be forwarded to MMC by UKM except for Letter of Good Standing