Assoc. Prof. Dr Nur Yazmin Yaacob
Dr. Nik Azuan Nik Ismail
Duration of training: 1 – 3 Years
Training Centre: UKM Medical Centre/ Hospital Canselor Tuanku Muhriz, Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur
Eligibility: Independent and certified radiologist or equivalent specialty.
Objectives of Programme:
- To obtain clinical knowledge relevant to medical and surgical management of diseases such that the trainee may confidently discuss the appropriate imaging strategy and/or interventional technique for the clinical problem with the referring clinician.
- In-depth understanding of indications, contraindications and complications of interventional procedures as well as their relative efficacy compared with other treatment options.
- To understand broad principles and techniques associated with IR.
- Extensive direct practical exposure with appropriate graded supervision in all forms of appropriate intervention.
- Knowledge and skills to enable safe practice of intervention. The trainee should be fully competent in intermediate and advanced life-support.
- Allow IR trainees to apply their knowledge and skills in the workplace and demonstrate competence to the level of a consultant.
- To become familiar with the indications for, performance, risks, and interpretation of a broad range of diagnostic and therapeutic angiography.
- To understand the importance of radiation protection as applied to IR procedures
- To be familiar with some clinical practice guidelines, namely : – Clinical Practice Guidelines for Interventional Radiology by the College of Radiology, Academy of Medicine Malaysia. -ACR-SIR-SNIS Practice Guidelines for Interventional Clinical Practice [http://www.acr.org/guidelines]
- Candidate will be required to perform all clinical activities at the level of a specialist and Involvement in the pre-, intra- and post- procedure assessment and management of patients:
- Candidate must attend all IR related clinics, CME. meeting, multi-disciplinary and clinic-radiological discussions.
- Candidate must be active in case discussions, work-up and plan for the cases.
- Candidate must keep a log book and an audit of his/her performance.
- Candidate is encouraged to submit a case report or present at hospital based or national level seminars.
- Candidate must pass the viva examinations which will be held at mid-term and at one month prior to finishing the programme.
Certificate of completion of training certified by Course Director and Dean, Faculty of Medicine UKM will be given to all successful candidates.
- Please apply at least 6 months before intended start date.
- You will need Temporary Practising Certificate (TPC) by Malaysian Medical Council (MMC). Please ensure you fulfil all the requirements for TPC. https://mmc.gov.my/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/TPC_July_2019_2.pdf
- Application for TPC will be forwarded to MMC by UKM except for Letter of Good Standing.
- Priority is given to candidates who comes from centers in need of IR services