Programme Name: FELLOWSHIP IN MATERNAL FETAL MEDICINE (UKM)
Course Director : Associate Professor Dr Rahana Abd Rahman
Duration of training: 6 months only
Training Centre: Hospital Canselor Tuanku Muhriz, UKM Medical Centre, 56000 Cheras, Kuala Lumpur
- Eligibility: The candidate:
- must possess a basic medical degree recognized by the Malaysian Medical Council and have a current Annual Practicing Certificate (APC). For overseas trainees, registration MUST be settled before joining the training program.
- has completed a recognized specialist training(for oversea candidates) and in the context of Malaysia, a training recognized by the conjoint speciality board and the Ministry of Health
- is certified to do level 1 and 2 Obstetrics ultrasound. Candidate MUST provide documentary proof of this training.(An additional two months of training may be needed if the candidate have no basic knowledge of Obstetric Ultrasound).
- is to submit a current resume with two referees.
- is sponsored during the period of training.
- is to submit a good-standing letter from current or previous employer/institution.
Objectives of Programme:
- To train candidates to achieve acceptable level of performance in basic and advanced O&G ultrasound
- To train the candidates to manage cases commonly seen in maternal fetal medicine field
- To expose and train the candidates to numerous interventions and treatments for high risk pregnancies
- At the end of the training, the candidate should be able to:
- adequately perform Level 1 and 2 scan
- adequately perform basic fetal echocardiography
- perform numerous basic fetal monitoring procedures such as Doppler study of numerous vessels relevant to fetus wellbeing assessment.
- Assist or perform invasive procedures amniocentesis, amnioreduction, insertion of shunts (after a period of observation)
- attend audits such as perinatal review, CS surveys, near miss audits
- attend teaching sessions including CTG reviews for medical officers and paramedical staffs.
- do one audit/ research in six months posting or two if the training is for one year. The projects must be discussed and presented to the team members for vetting and to avoid overlapping of research.
- fetal anomalies in terms of counseling, bereavement and follow up of the mother and baby.
- high risk pregnancy clinic with physician in the management of diabetic mothers and other medical disorders as hypertension, heart disease, SLE and other common medical disorders.
- High-risk pregnancies such as multiple pregnancies, preterm labour, growth restricted fetuses
- Pre-pregnancy assessment and counseling
Certificate of completion in training certified by Course Director and Dean, Faculty of Medicine UKM will be given to all successful candidates.
- Application must be made at least six months before the intended start date
- You will need Temporary Practising Certificate (TPC) by Malaysian Medical Council prior to starting the course. Please ensure you fulfil all the requirements for TPC. The website is http://mmc.gov.my/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/TPC July 2019 2.pdf
- Application for TPC will be forwarded to MMC by UKM except for letter of Good Standing.