Course Director: Assoc Prof. Dr Shahizon Azura Mohamed Mukari
Duration of training: 1 year
Training Centre: UKM Medical Centre/ Hospital Canselor Tuanku Muhriz, Cheras, 56000 Kuala Lumpur
Eligibility: Independent and certified radiologist or equivalent specialty.
Objectives of Programme:
- To obtain clinical knowledge relevant to medical and surgical management of diseases such that the trainee may confidently discuss the appropriate imaging strategy and/or interventional technique for the clinical problem with the referring clinician.
- In-depth understanding (or awareness) of the physics, imaging principles, clinical indications, artifacts, limitations, and contrast properties, patient safety aspects and utilization for the following CT and MRI.
- Extensive direct practical exposure with appropriate graded supervision.
- To understand broad principles, techniques, indication and interpretation of the modality associated with neuroradiology examination.
CT – Conventional, Perfusion CT (CBV, CBF, MTT,TTP)
MRI – Conventional, MR Spectroscopy, DWI/Diffusion Tensor Imaging, MR Perfusion Imaging (DSC with calculations of CBV, CBF, MTT, TTP) and ASL.
- Knowledge and detailed understanding on the anatomy of the brain and spine on CT, MRI and multiplanar 2D and 3D multiplanar reconstruction.
- Knowledge and understanding on the anatomy of the brain and spine on angiography.
- Knowledge on the anatomy of head and neck on CT and MRI.
- Knowledge and detailed understanding of the pathology in the brain and spine with an emphasis on the disease process and their appearance on the CT, MRI and angiography.
- Awareness on the disease process and pathology in the head and neck.
- Knowledge on image interpretation, management decision and treatment options of for the cases.
- To become familiar with the indications, performance, risks, and interpretation of a broad range of neuro related diagnostic and therapeutic angiography.
- To be familiar with some clinical practice guidelines, namely clinical and imaging scales to assess stroke – NIHSS, ASPECTS, collateral scores for stroke imaging, RANO criteria for treatment response in brain tumour, Spetzler-Martin for AVM grading, Borden and Cognard DAVF classification, Fisher Scale for subarachnoid hemorrhage, Modic classification in the spine.
- To have awareness or how to perform Digital Subtraction Angiography.
- Should understand the indications for, have knowledge of use of therapeutic agents, and observe in neuroendovascular procedures eg acute stroke embolectomy with stent retrievers, aneurysm Coiling, AVM/AVF treatment with liquid embolic agents, Particle embolization for epistaxis, of vascular tumours
- Candidate will be required to perform all clinical activities at the level of a specialist.
- Candidate must attend all Neuro and Head and Neck related CME, meeting, multi-disciplinary and clinic-radiological discussions.
- Candidate will be involved in teaching (direct or indirectly) the post graduate masters student related to neuroradiology and Head and Neck radiology.
- Candidate must be active in case discussions, work-up and plan for the cases.
- Candidate must keep a log book and an audit of his/her performance.
- Candidate is encouraged to submit a case report or present at hospital based or national level seminars.
Certificate of completion of training certified by Course Director and Dean, Faculty of Medicine UKM will be given to all successful candidates.
- Please apply at least 6 months before intended start date.
- You will need Temporary Practising Certificate (TPC) by Malaysian Medical Council (MMC). Please ensure you fulfil all the requirements for TPC. https://mmc.gov.my/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/TPC_July_2019_2.pdf
- Application for TPC will be forwarded to MMC by UKM except for Letter of Good Standing.