Programme Name: FELLOWSHIP IN PAEDIATRIC LAPAROSCOPY (UKM)
Course Director: Prof. Dr. Dayang Anita Abdul Aziz
Duration of training: 6 months (Basic) or 1 year (Advanced)
Training Centre: UKM Medical Centre/ Hospital Canselor Tuanku Muhriz, Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur
Eligibility: Independent and Certified Paediatric Surgeon with interest in Paediatric Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS)
Objectives of Programme:
- To perform safe minimally invasive surgery for common cases in children.
- To learn how to set-up and maintain minimally invasive surgery operating unit including instruments and equipment
- To learn how to develop good minimally invasive surgery team.
- Candidate will be required to perform all clinical activities at the level of a specialist i.e. run clinics, do ward rounds, perform open surgeries confidently, do on-calls.
- Candidate must attend at least once the Annual Basic Laparoscopic Workshop with Emphasis on Paediatric Laparoscopy organised by the Unit.
- Candidate must observe all MIS cases performed either as elective or emergency.
- Candidate must pass the written and viva examinations which will be held at mid-term and at one month prior to finishing the programme.
- Candidates must assist as many MIS cases as possible and able to perform a few common MIS procedures independently before the final examination.
- Candidate must keep a log book and an audit of his/her performance.
- Candidate must be contactable and regularly meet with course director.
- Candidate is required to join all clinical and academic activities of the Unit.
- Candidate must publish at least 1 manuscript in a WOS journal (for 1 year training) or be involved in the production of the manuscript (for 6 months training)
Certificate of completion of training certified by Course Director and Dean, Faculty of Medicine UKM will be given to all successful candidates.
- Please apply at least 6 months before intended start date.
- You will need Temporary Practising Certificate (TPC) by Malaysian Medical Council (MMC). Please ensure you fulfil all the requirements for TPC. https://mmc.gov.my/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/TPC_July_2019_2.pdf
- Application for TPC will be forwarded to MMC by UKM except for Letter of Good Standing.