Course Director: A/Prof Dr. Wong Sau Wei
Duration of Training: One year for international candidate and up to 3 years for local candidate
Training Centre: UKM Medical Centre/ Hospital Canselor Tuanku Muhriz, Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur
Eligibility: Recognised postgraduate training in paediatrics with interest in neurology (MRCPCH/ Masters equivalent)
Objective: To produce paediatric neurologists with detailed knowledge, competence and experience in paediatic neurology.
Objectives of Programme:
- To produce paediatric neurologist with detailed knowledge in paediatric neurology.
- To produce paediatric neurologist with competence and experience in performing procedures pertaining to paediatric neurology.
- Candidate will be required to perform all clinical activities at the level of a specialist i.e. run clinics, do ward rounds, perform procedures e.g. lumbar punctures.
- Candidate should be able and competent to diagnose and manage common paediatric neurological diseases. For complex cases, candidate should have competent skills to plan the evaluation and management in a holistic manner.
- Candidate must have 1 month to 3 months of exposure, depending on duration of fellowship, to disorders in genetics and inborn errors of metabolism in a recognized centre.
- Candidate must have 1month to 3 months of exposure, depending on duration of fellowship, to disorders in developmental paediatrics in a recognized centre.
- Candidate must be confident in obtaining record and interpreting neurophysiology results: electroencephalogram, nerve conduction tests etc.
- Candidates must assist as many procedures as possible and be able to perform a few common procedures independently.
- Candidate must keep a log book and an audit of his/her performance.
- Candidate must be contactable and regularly meet with course director.
- Candidate is required to join all clinical and academic activities of the Unit.
- Obtain a pass in the UKM fellowship exit examination
Method of assessment :
- Completion of training logbook
- Evidence of submission of research study manuscript to a peer reviewed journal
Certificate of completion of training certified by Course Director and Dean, Faculty of Medicine UKM will be given to all successful candidates.
- Please apply at least 6 months before intended start date.
- You will need Temporary Practising Certificate (TPC) by Malaysian Medical Council (MMC). Please ensure you fulfil all the requirements for TPC. https://mmc.gov.my/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/TPC_July_2019_2.pdf
- Application for TPC will be forwarded to MMC by UKM except for Letter of Good Standing.