Programme Name: FELLOWSHIP IN PAEDIATRIC
Course Director: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Safinaz Mohd Khialdin
Duration of Training: 1-year for international candidate & up to 3 years for local candidate
Training Centre: UKM Medical Centre (UKMMC)/ Hospital Canselor Tuanku Muhriz Cheras (HCTM) Jalan Yaacob Latif Bandar Tun Razak 56000 Cheras Kuala Lumpur
Emoluments: Fees should be paid to UKM and settled with no outstanding amounts due
Availability Places: 1-per year
- Must possess a recognizable Medical Degree and Post-Graduate Medical Degree qualification in Ophthalmology that is registrable with the Malaysian Medical Council (MMC).
- Letter of offer and/ or financial warranty from the employee.
- Must submit a list of workshops, courses and short training programme attended.
- Must submit the names of at least two referees, at least one of whom has directly supervised the candidates and is able to submit a report on the candidates’ clinical skills, practice, attitude and competence.
- Must have been in active clinical practice for at least 1-year post specialist qualification.
Objectives of Programme:
- To be a competent subspecialist capable of assuming as consultant’s role.
- To acquire working knowledge of the theoretical basis of the specialty including its foundations in the basic medical sciences.
- To perform research study in this discipline and submit a manuscript for publication at the end of programme.
- To be able to address issues of gender, sexual orientation, age, culture, ethnicity and ethics in a professional manner.
Selection Process: Fulfill requirements by the university (UKM) and Malaysian Medical Council (MMC) & an interview by consultants either face to face or via tele-interview (international candidate only).
Minimum Training Requirement:
- Local candidate must be training for 3 years in established National Centre which will include 1-2 years in this Unit, UKMMC and at least 1-year placement in a recognized centre in Malaysia or overseas other than UKMMC in this Unit of the respective centre/ hospital.
- International candidate they will be trained exclusively in this Unit, UKMMC for 1-year.
- Successfully conduct and complete a research study in Unit by the completion of training.
- Obtain a Pass in the UKM Fellowship Exit Examination.
Method of Assessment/ Certificate:
- Completion of the training logbook including endorsement by the consultant of the various clinics, Head of Unit and the Head of Department of Ophthalmology in UKMMC.
- Evidence of submission of the research study manuscript to a peer-reviewed journal.
Certificate of completion of training certified by Course Director and Dean, Faculty of Medicine UKM will be given to all successful candidates.