Course Director: Prof. Dr. Goh Bee See
Duration of training: 6 months
Training Centre: UKM Medical Centre/ Hospital Canselor Tuanku Muhriz, Hospital Pakar Kanak –Kanak (HPKK), Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur.
Eligibility: Postgraduate certificate in Paediatric Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery
The clinical fellow is, airway management input to neonatology and all cases evolving from above. (endoscopy, temporal bone lab, undergraduate lectures), daily rounds, weekly service rounds and weekly staff teaching rounds
Objectives of Programme:
- To learn the management and treatment of a spectrum of surgical pediatric otolaryngology including pediatric otology and cochlear implantation, airway endoscopy and open airway reconstructive surgery, pediatric head and neck surgery including vascular malformations.
- To perform common paediatric ORL surgery.
- To learn multidisciplinary management of paediatric ORL cases.
- Candidate is expected to attend all cases unique to pediatric otolaryngology, participate in teaching sessions, perform all clinical activities as specialist including both in and out-patients i.e. seeing cases in the clinic, involve in the ward rounds.
- Candidate is responsible for consultations and required to perform common paediatric ORL cases confidently and safely either in elective or emergency settings.
- Candidate is required to do on-calls.
- Candidate must attend multidisciplinary combine clinic/ meeting, eg combine cleft clinic, Cochlear implant Meeting.
- Candidate must observe all the paediatric ORL cases performed by the supervisor either as elective or emergency.
- Candidate must assist as many cases as possible both common and advance surgery related to the subspecialty.
- Candidate is encourage to attend course/seminar related to the subspeciality at least once
- Candidate must keep a logbook and an audit of his/her performance.
- Candidate must have regular meeting with course director/supervisor.
10. Candidate is required to join all clinical and academic activities of the Unit eg- Xray conference, HPE conference etc.
11. Candidate is expected to write at least one clinically focused paper and publish in an index journal.
12.Candidate must pass the viva examination which will be held at end of programme.
Certificate of completion of training certified by Course Director and Dean, Faculty of Medicine UKM will be given to all successful candidates.
- Must apply at least 6 months before intended start date.
- Letter of recommendation by 2 senior paediatric ORL surgeon is required.
- Candidate is required to apply Temporary Practising Certificate (TPC) by Malaysian Medical Council (MMC). Please
- ensure you fulfill all the requirements for TPC. https://mmc.gov.my/wp-
- Application for TPC will be forwarded to MMC by UKM except for Letter of Good Standing.