Course Director: Prof Dr. Tan Geok Chin
Duration of Training: 6 to 12 months
Training Centre: UKM Medical Centre/ Hospital Canselor Tuanku Muhriz, Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur
Eligibility: Recognised postgraduate training in Anatomical Pathology (Master/Doctor of Pathology) with special interest in Paediatric, Perinatal and Placenta Pathology.
Objectives of Programme:
- To train general pathologists with additional knowledge in paediatric and perinatal pathology.
- To train general pathologists with basic competence and experience in reporting paediatric related pathology, placenta and gestational trophoblastic diseases.
- To train general pathologists with basic competence and experience in performing perinatal autopsy.
- Candidate will be required to perform all histopathology reporting activities at the level of a specialist i.e. grossing of tissue samples (e.g. become familiarise with the grossing of Wilms tumour – mapping of tumour for anaplasia), peform histopathology reporting and supervisor postgraduate trainees.
- Candidate should be able and competent to diagnose cases and requesting of relevant immunohistochemical and molecular studies.
- Candidate must be confident in interpreting immunohistochemical and molecular studies.
- Candidate may be required to travel to Hospital Kuala Lumpur or Universiti Malaya Medical Center, together with course director to perform second opinion cases.
- Candidate must pass a written examination which will be held prior to finishing the programme.
- Candidate must assist as many perinatal autopsy procedures as possible and able to perform a few procedures independently before the final examination.
- Candidate must keep a log book and an audit of his/her performance. The log shall contains information on the number of reporting in paediatric surgical cases, intraoperative frozen section consultations, placenta samples and perinatal autopsy.
- Candidate must collect 20 interesting/ unusual cases to be presented before the final examination.
- Candidate must be contactable and regularly meet with course director.
- Candidate is required to join all academic activities of the Unit (e.g. CME and postgraduate classes).
- Candidate is required to do research during the training and encourage to publish at least 1 manuscript in a WOS journal or present at a local conference.
Certificate of completion of training certified by Course Director and Dean, Faculty of Medicine UKM will be given to all successful candidates.
- Please apply at least 6 months before intended start date.
- You will need Temporary Practising Certificate (TPC) by Malaysian Medical Council (MMC). Please ensure you fulfil all the requirements for TPC. https://mmc.gov.my/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/TPC_July_2019_2.pdf
- Application for TPC will be forwarded to MMC by UKM except for Letter of Good Standing.