Course Director: Prof. Dr. Amaramalar Selvi Naicker
Duration of training: 1 year
Training Centre: UKM Medical Centre/ Hospital Canselor Tuanku Muhriz, Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur
Eligibility: Independent and Certified Rehabilitation Physician with interest in Paediatric Rehabilitation
Objectives of Programme:
- Designed to prepare for a career in pediatric rehabilitation medicine.
- To have a comprehensive knowledge in paediatric diseases leading to disabilities and functional limitations.
- To be able to manage a wide range of neuromuscular conditions
- To understand, integrate and perform pediatric rehab procedures such as Botox injections, Baclofen pump refills and programming and orthotic and prosthetic prescriptions.
- Advocate for care needs within the systems of care including educational, vocational, transition and home care systems
- Candidate will serve as the primary physician for children and adolescents admitted to the rehabilitation unit.
- Provide consultation and follow-up services for children in the pediatric acute care hospital and assist in decision-making regarding next steps of care.
- Candidate should be readily available from any of the pediatric services as are pediatric Rapid Response and code teams.
- Candidate will be required to perform all clinical activities at the level of a specialist i.e. run clinics, do ward rounds, perform procedures confidently, do on-calls.
- Candidate must attend at least one intermediate/ advanced Botulinium Toxin and Ultrasonography workshop
- Candidate must pass the exit viva examinations which will be held at one month prior to finishing the programme.
- Candidates must be able to perform pediatric rehab procedures such as Botox injections, Baclofen pump refills and programming and orthotic and prosthetic prescriptions independently.
- Candidate must be able to lead the rehabilitation team conferences and plan and coordinate transitions
- Candidate must keep a log book and an audit of his/her performance.
- Candidate must be contactable and regularly meet with course director.
- Candidate is required to join all clinical and academic activities of the Unit.
- Candidate must publish at least 1 manuscript in a WOS journal.
Certificate of completion of training certified by Course Director and Dean, Faculty of Medicine UKM will be given to all successful candidates.
- Please apply at least 6 months before intended start date.
- You will need Temporary Practising Certificate (TPC) by Malaysian Medical Council (MMC). Please ensure you fulfil all the requirements for TPC. https://mmc.gov.my/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/TPC_July_2019_2.pdf
- Application for TPC will be forwarded to MMC by UKM except for Letter of Good Standing.