Course Director: Dato’ Dr. Badrul Akmal Hisham Md. Yusoff
Duration of training: 6 months (Basic) or 1 year (Advanced)
Training Centre: UKM Medical Centre/ Hospital Canselor Tuanku Muhriz, Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur
Eligibility:Board-certified orthopedic surgeon with minimum of 3 years experience, recognized by the Malaysian Medical Council, and/or the medical council of the origin country and/or relevant professional collegial or authority bodies.
Pre-requisite : A recommendation letter from the Orthopaedic professional body or association from the country of origin.
Objectives of Programme:
- To perform safe arthroscopic surgery of the knee and shoulder
- To learn how to plan, establish and maintain a specialised arthroscopy and sports trauma unit including manpower planning, instrument procurement and maintenance including basic research set-up.
- To be able to plan, coordinate and manage a basic clinical research database infrastructure framework
- Candidate will be required to perform all clinical activities at the level of a specialist i.e. run clinics, do ward rounds, perform open surgeries.
- Candidate must attend at least once the Basic Arthroscopy Workshop organised by the Unit.
- Candidate must observe all cases performed either as elective or emergency.
- Candidate may be assigned to an external surgeon during the period of fellowship training for 2 to 4 weeks.
- A reflective writing report must be submitted prior to the exit Viva interview conducted 2 weeks before the end of the 6 months program or 1 months before the 1 year program.
- Candidates must assist as many cases as possible and able to perform a few common arthroscopy surgery independently before the exit viva interview.
- Candidate must keep a log book and an audit of his/her performance.
- Candidate must always be contactable and regularly meet with course director.
- Candidate is required to join all clinical and academic activities of the Unit.
- Candidate must publish at least 1 manuscript in a WOS journal (for 1 year training) or a case report/series (for 6 months training)
Certificate of completion of training certified by Course Director and Dean, Faculty of Medicine UKM will be given to all successful candidates.
- Please apply at minimum 12 months before intended start date.
- You will need Temporary Practising Certificate (TPC) by Malaysian Medical Council (MMC). Please ensure you fulfil all the requirements for TPC. https://mmc.gov.my/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/TPC_July_2019_2.pdf
- Application for TPC will be forwarded to MMC by UKM except for Letter of Good Standing.