-Available in capsules.
-Accompanied by a low calorie diet and exercise in order to maximize the effect of weight loss and maintain the outcome.
How This Medicine Works?
-Orlistat is categorized as a type of lipase inhibitor.
-It works by preventing a portion of dietary fats from being absorbed into the intestines.
-The unabsorbed fat is then removed from the body in the stool.
When to take?
· Orlistat should be taken with fat-containing meal (during or up to 1 hour after the meal).
· One tablet is taken during each meal.
· Omit dose if meal is occasionally missed or contains no fat.
While Using This Medicine:
-Follow the diet plan given by doctor.
-If orlistat is taken with a diet that contains high level of fat (a diet containing more than 30% of the total daily calories from fat), or with any meal that is rich in fat, you are more likely to experience side effects from the medication.
-Orlistat blocks human body’s absorption of some fat-soluble vitamins and beta carotene.
-Therefore, when you use orlistat you should take a daily multivitamin that contains vitamins A, D, E, K, and beta-carotene.
-Take the multivitamin once per day, 2 hours before or after taking orlistat, during bedtime or as suggested by physicians.
What are the side effects?
-All medicines may have some unnecessary side effects.
-It can be severe in certain conditions, but mostly they are mild.
-Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you experience any side effects which are severe or persistent.
-Possible side effects:
- changes in bowel movement habits
- oily spotting on underwear or on clothing
- loose, oily or fatty stool
- pain or discomfort in the rectum (bottom)
- stomach pain
- irregular menstrual periods
- nausea or vomiting
- difficulty in breathing or swallowing
- excessive tiredness
Storage and disposal:
· Store at room temperature and in a dry place.
· Keep away from direct sunlight.
· Keep out of reach of children.
· Do not use after the expiry date.
· Return any unused or expired medication to the nearest pharmacy.
Below are the summary of information of orlistat in picture form.