Dr. Muhamad Ramdzan Buyong, SMIEEE
Research Fellow and Senior Lecturer
2011 – 2016, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
Phd in Microengineering and Nanoelectronics.
2008 – 2010, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
MSc in Microengineering and Nanoelectronics.
2002 – 2004, University of Surrey, United Kingdom.
BEng in Electronic Engineering.
4. Dielectrophoresis (https://youtu.be/tEdNNSUwKYE)
Dielectrophoresis Lab-on-a-Chip Devices for Medical Research
A novel innovative approach towards integrated dielectrophoresis (DEP) in the lab-on-a-chip system for medical research application is developed. This integration of DEP with microfluidics technology is called a microelectrofluidics device. The novelty is the selective detection with rapid manipulation capability for biological and non-biological particle applications. Generated of electrokinetics DEP force (FDEP) via contactless method is needed in medical research for diagnostic and prognostic in micro/nanofluidics applications. Our solution is a new method to formulate and determine lateral and vertical for detection, separation, isolation, and manipulation mechanism of FDEP simultaneously. Through a configuration of microelectrodes arrays with a tapered sidewall profile. Resulted in the reliability and efficiency of the tapered DEP microelectrodes in selective detection with rapid manipulation capability are better than straight-cut microelectrodes, which can contribute significantly to DEP technology and applications.
Research Fellow – IMEN, UKM, 2013 – Present
Microfluidics & Nanofluidics Research Laboratory
Senior Researcher – MIMOS Berhad, 2005 – 2013 (8 years)
MEMS/NEMS Lab: Sensors and Actuators Microfabrication Technology
Wafer Fab 6” and 8”: CMOS Process Technology
- Principal researcher for Dana Cabaran Perdana-2017-003/3, Dielectrophoresis-based `Lab-on-a-chip` Device for Rapid and Portable Bacterial and Drug-Resistance Strains with a Focus on ESKAPE Pathogens Detection.
- Principal researcher for GGPM-2017-028, Dielectrophoresis Repellent and Attraction for Selective Toxin Removal.
- Principal researcher for FRGS/1/2017/TK04/UKM/02/14, Tapered Dielectrophoresis Electrode for Anticlogging in Biological Fluids Filtration.
- Principal researcher for RR-2019-002, Tapered Dielectrophoresis Microelectrode for Selective Detection and Rapid Manipulation of Extracellular vesicles (EVs).
- Higher Institution Centre of Excellence, HiCOE Phase 1st & 2nd, MEMS in Artificial Kidney.
- SMART Challenge Fund, IMENGiTi PD: A Portable Tidal Peritoneal Dialysis System.
- TRGS/1/2019/UKM/02/1/1, Design and Fabrication of Smart Portable Wound Healer Based on Dielectrophoresis Technique.
- LRGS/2015/UKM-UKM/NANOMITE/04/01, Development of Graphene based Nano electromechanical Systems (NEMS) Sensors and Devices.
- DIP-2019-018, Epitaxial growth of next generation alpha Gallium Oxide-based power devices using mist-CVD technique
- FRGS/1/2019/TK04/UKM/02/1, Elastic Waves Interactions with Micro-Pillars on Piezoelectric Slab for High-Q MEMS Resonator.
- FRGS/1/2018/TK07/UKM/02/7, Improvement of Bi2Te3 Thermoelectric Properties using SiO2 Graphene Balls for MEMS Thermoelectric Microgenerator.
- FRGS/1/2018/TK04/MMU/02/4, Study of cell Manipulation Towards Establishing Microfluidic Platforms for Alzheimer’s Disease Therapy.
- FRGS/1/2018/TK04/UTP/03/1, Theoretical Modeling and Simulation of the Effect of Squeeze film damping on the Frequency and Quality factor of PolyMUMPs Resonator.
- Grant Yayasan UTP 015LCO-036 2018, Development of Multiple Gas Detection Sensor using MEMS Technology for Oil and Gas Detection.
- FRGS/1/2017 TK04/UITM/01/1, Growth Mechanism of Novel Highly Crystalline 3-Dimensional (3D) Nanostructured Niobium Oxide – Zinc Oxide (Nb2O5-ZnO) with Enhanced Sensitivity and Selectivity of Electrical and Chemical Sensing Properties.
- FRGS /1/2014/SG06/UKM/02/1, Growth of Catalyst-Free Graphene by Plasma-Assisted CVD Method for Biomedical Devices.
- FRGS/2/2013/SG06/UKM/02/3, Plasma Modifications of Biochip Materials for Enhanced Biocompatibility and Interaction between such Surfaces and Cells.
- FRGS/2/2013/TK03/UKM/01/1, Study of Dielectrophoretic and Magnetophoretic Nanoparticle Manipulation in Continuous Flow Microfluidic Systems for Biochemical Analysis Platforms.
- Buyong MR, Kayani AA, Hamzah AA, Yeop Majlis B. Dielectrophoresis Manipulation: Versatile Lateral and Vertical Mechanisms. Biosensors. 2019 Mar;9(1):30.
- Buyong MR, Larki F, Caille CE, Takamura Y, Hamzah AA, Majlis BY. Determination of lateral and vertical dielectrophoresis forces using tapered microelectrode array. Micro & Nano letters. 2018 Feb 1;13(2):143-8.
- Buyong MR, Larki F, Takamura Y, Majlis BY. Tapered microelectrode array system for dielectrophoretically filtration: fabrication, characterization, and simulation study. Journal of Micro/Nanolithography, MEMS, and MOEMS. 2017 Dec;16(4):044501.
- Buyong MR, Larki F, Faiz M, Hamzah A, Yunas J, Majlis B. A tapered aluminium microelectrode array for improvement of dielectrophoresis-based particle manipulation. Sensors. 2015 May;15(5):10973-90.
- Buyong MR, Yunas J, Hamzah AA, Yeop Majlis B, Larki F, Abd Aziz N. Design, fabrication and characterization of dielectrophoretic microelectrode array for particle capture. Microelectronics International. 2015 May 5;32(2):96-102.
1.Fabrication Method of a Micromechanical Device – PCT/MY2008/000128.
2. Method for Fabricating Microneedles and Microneedle Fabricated from The Same – PCT/MY2008/000138
3. Device for Microfluidic Application – PCT/MY2008/000162
4. Contact Etch for AMS Products – PCT/MY2008/000163
5. Insulation Methods for Micromechanical Device – PCT/MY2008/000175
6. Packaging Method for Micromechanical Device – PCT/MY2008/000176
7. Planar Micropump with Integrated Passive Micromixers – PCT/MY2010/000253
8. Planar Micropump with Integrated Passive Microvalves – PCT/MY2010/000254
9. Thin Layer Humidity Sensor with Backside Surface Contacted – PCT/MY2010/700033
10. Capacitive Sensor for Intraocular Pressure Measurement and Method of Fabricating – MSc UKM, PCT/MY2010/001421
11. Trench Humidity Sensor – PCT/MY2010/005362
12. Flexible Polymers with Silicon Structure and A Method of Fabrication – PCT/MY2010/0005685
13. ISFET Process with Membrane – PCT/MY2010/000288
14. Humidity Sensor and a Method for Fabricating the same – PCT/MY2011/000136
15. A Method for Releasing MEMS Device – PCT/MY2013/000242
16. A Method for Forming Silicon Grass – PCT/2014/000095
17. A Method for Eliminating Surface Defect – PCT/2014/000139
18. Dielectrophoresis Lateral and Vertical Particle Separation using Two Intensity Electric Field – PI 2016704286
19. Dielectrophoresis Separation with Selectivity Repellent Behaviour for Development Artificial Kidney – PI 2017704119
20. Dielectrophoresis System – PI 2018002688
21. Dielectrophoresis Extracorporeal Blood Processing System – PI 2018002689
22. Dielectrophoresis Lab: On-A-Chip based Systems for Detecting the ESKAPE Pathogens – F.20192377
23. Dielectrophoresis Grids for Exosomes Detection & Characterization – F.20192376
- Postgraduate IEEE EDS Awards 2016 (Malaysia Chapter) – Outstanding project in Material, Process and Product.
- Award AAP EIPHI FEMTO-ST for Welcome Foreigner Professors 2019.
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- IEEE, Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- MBOT, Board of Engineers Technologist (MBOT)
- BEM, Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM)
- Electron Devices Society (EDS), Malaysian Chapter
- Microelectrode fabrication for dielectrophoresis in collaboration with the industry-SilTerra Malaysia.
SilTerra Malaysia, Kulim Hi-Tech Park, Kulim, Malaysia