– Guidelines for Supervisors & Students
Guidelines for Supervisor
- Recognise the teaching of students as part of their professional obligation.
- Become an active mentor and allocate time for each student.
- Impart knowledge and train each student to become a well-trained research scientist.
- Recognise the student’s rights to be part of the professional team..
- Be sensitive to the student’s requirements and needs.
- Recognise the student’s level of knowledge and experience.
- Give constructive feedback in a manner which will improve the student’s performance.
- Avoid giving any criticism which is demeaning, belittling, discourteous, of a personal nature or is not given in a way which will enable the student to improve his/her performance.
- Discuss with the Postgraduate Committee any serious concerns about a student’s performance and professional capability.
- Recognise that any form of harassment is unacceptable in UMBI.
Guidelines for Student
- Develop a sense of belonging to UMBI and uphold UMBI’s values.
- Learn to be a scientist and not a high level technician.
- Read at least one journal paper a day and learn how to do a journal assessment and critique.
- Learn the art of communication and be able to present research findings in an interesting way.
- Learn to write manuscripts and be meticulous not only in terms of the scientific content but also grammar, spelling and syntax.
- Be punctual at scheduled journal club meetings or daily research activities, and notify the supervisor or staff member to inform and explain any non-attendance.
- Display a standard of behaviour and presentation which demonstrates a respect for the patient when collecting clinical samples or data.
- Show courtesy in dealing with all levels of staff and fellow students.
- Recognise the other legitimate demands on the teaching staff’s time.
- Student must follow the UKM regulations and guide when writing their theses (Graduate Studies).
- Students should adhere to the Good Research Practices, Good Laboratory Practices and also ethical guidelines provided and taught at UMBI.
- Students should take ownership of their writing of the thesis so that their thesis will be of a quality that meets the standard set by the institute